Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
While i was playing around creating a mobile youtube app i got the idea to create stand-alone mobile social media apps as well. I know a person could do this with Fluid, but these are quite a bit smaller and require no work on the users part. These are just webkit wrappers that display the mobile version of both sites and are sized accordingly to look how they would on a phone.

Once the apps are open if for any reason you need to go back or forward a page just right click on any whitespace and a dialog box pops up with forward/back/reload/stop options.

Cheers.

SocialMedia.png

PowerCloud.png

Attachments

• Facebook.zip
    57.8 KB · Views: 821
  • Twitter.zip
    79.6 KB · Views: 685
  • SoundCloud.zip
    77.7 KB · Views: 471
Last edited:

skinniezinho

Suspended
Jan 1, 2009
Portugal
any chance of a app for google hangouts?
I use tenfourbox, but I still have to wait about 1min and 30 seconds for it to load on my g4
hangouts.google.com

skinniezinho

Suspended
Jan 1, 2009
Portugal
@skinniezinho Here you go. Give it a whirl. I don't have an account to test functionality. Let me know if it works.

Cheers

WOW! It is so much faster!Thanks a lot!Please send me a pm with your paypal adress.
My mouth is still open of how much faster it is compared to tenfourbox.
If it doesn't take much time, could you please do one with www.messenger.com?
I guess this type of solution could also work for spotify (running through website and not app).

Last edited:

philgxxd

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2017
Malaga, Spain
Just tried the Soundcloud app! Well done SIR!
[doublepost=1518691236][/doublepost]
WOW! It is so much faster!Thanks a lot!Please send me a pm with your paypal adress.
My mouth is still open of how much faster it is compared to tenfourbox.
If it doesn't take much time, could you please do one with www.messenger.com?
I guess this type of solution could also work for spotify (running through website and not app).

I also beg for a Spotify version!

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Glad these work well enough and give these old ppc's a little more life. :apple:

I looked in to Spotify and it isn't going to be doable sadly. Their "web player" is a plugin called Widevine and it only supports Chrome, Firefox, and Edge. I tried everything i could think of. Now because it supports Firefox it might be possible to load up the website via TenFourFox/Foxbox, but i wouldn't hold my breath.

@skinniezinho I got Messenger built for you (or anybody else that wants it). The file is too large to attach here so you can grab it from my google drive here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1GfYZq98qrzBdX_i3f9G7q8zFhjFPp_A9
It's a tad sluggish, but it does work ok once it's fully loaded.

Cheers

Reactions: AphoticD

skinniezinho

Suspended
Jan 1, 2009
Portugal
Glad these work well enough and give these old ppc's a little more life. :apple:

I looked in to Spotify and it isn't going to be doable sadly. Their "web player" is a plugin called Widevine and it only supports Chrome, Firefox, and Edge. I tried everything i could think of. Now because it supports Firefox it might be possible to load up the website via TenFourFox/Foxbox, but i wouldn't hold my breath.

@skinniezinho I got Messenger built for you (or anybody else that wants it). The file is too large to attach here so you can grab it from my google drive here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1GfYZq98qrzBdX_i3f9G7q8zFhjFPp_A9
It's a tad sluggish, but it does work ok once it's fully loaded.

Cheers
Thanks once again. A donation for a little beer was sent.
Your messenger takes half the time of the one I "made" with this version of tenfourbox.
I guess we got our social needs covered =) At least for me. Instagram would be nice but I guess it isn't worth the hassle to make a program for it. But messenger and hangouts messenger is what I use on a daily basis.
Oncea gain thank you very much.

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2016
For whatever reason, the Soundcloud app does not work for me (10.4.11). I get a blank window that says at the top "NSError "secure connection failed" blah blah blah. Facebarf works great though. Haven't tried it on my Leopard boxes yet. Man, FB flies like this. It would be so incredibly brain numbingly slow otherwise (well, brain numbing either way ;) ). Are there any online resources/tutorials on how to make one? Seems like a great thing to know how to do if you are into using ppc daily drivers.

Nice job :)

Last edited:
Reactions: wicknix

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
For whatever reason, the Soundcloud app does not work for me (10.4.11). I get a blank window that says at the top "NSError "secure connection failed" blah blah blah. Facebarf works great though.

If it's using the iPhone 5 user agent it tends not to work on Tiger. You can use TenFourFox/FoxBox/Safari/Omniweb with mobile user agents to achieve the same results - Omniweb is best as you can assign a different user agent to each web site if needed.

There's no beating @wicknix 's mini-apps for sheer convenience though :)

Reactions: bobesch and wicknix

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Google has been changing a lot of things lately. 10.5's old webkit engine is probably the cause though. You could try relinking hangouts.app with leopard-webkit. It should relink fine. Having a more up-to-date webkit *might* resolve the issue.

Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.