Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chrisjmv

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 9, 2016
Does the problem of the Facebook App still exists that it consumes battery power still in the background?

Currently I'm using FB in safari in order to save battery or did they fix it that the battery life will be good using the FB app?

iRift

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2014
Germany
FB still consumes extremely battery power. Especially when you have a bad network connection (on work, in buildings). In this situation it won't let your phone sleep.

Reactions: iOSUser7

iOSUser7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2014
FB still consumes extremely battery power. Especially when you have a bad network connection (on work, in buildings). In this situation it won't let your phone sleep.
I can confirm that. Still doing its background activity and kill the battery life like no other app which is why I always close it from the multitasking every time I switch to another app.

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
This has been in the news recently. The Facebook app is a battery hog. Delete it and use the web version and add it to your Home screen, you'll never tell the difference. You'll save around 10-15% of battery per day.

iOSUser7 said:
Closing the app in the App Switcher does absolutely nothing by the way.

iOSUser7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2014
Closing the app in the App Switcher does absolutely nothing by the way.
Where do you get that info from ? I can guarantee you that it made a big difference, I absolutely have no issues at all with Facebook draining my battery since I close the app from the multitasking.

Also, before I had like 4 or 5 hours of background activity in the battery usage menu, now I don't have any background activity not even a minute.

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
Where do you get that info from ? I can guarantee you that it made a big difference, I absolutely have no issues at all with Facebook draining my battery since I close the app from the multitasking.

Also, before I had like 4 or 5 hours of background activity in the battery usage menu, now I don't have any background activity not even a minute.

Oh, it was no-one important. Only Craig Federighi said it...
[doublepost=1460467254][/doublepost]

Apps in the App Switcher are either not running or frozen in RAM. It has no effect on battery life. You should only force close an app if it's unresponsive.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
[doublepost=1460467254][/doublepost]

Apps in the App Switcher are either not running or frozen in RAM. It has no effect on battery life. You should only force close an app if it's unresponsive.
There are certainly apps in the app switcher that can be running in the background.

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
There are certainly apps in the app switcher that can be running in the background.

Yes but then we bring Location Services into the mix... I'm not changing my stance, closing apps that don't use your location won't save battery if you close them in the App Switcher or not.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yes but then we bring Location Services into the mix... I'm not changing my stance, closing apps that don't use your location won't save battery if you close them in the App Switcher or not.
Not just location services, as various other features can allow an app to run in the background when it has been previously opened and not closed. It doesn't happen with most apps, but it does happen with some, with Facebook being one of the more prominent examples of it. For someone that is seeing higher than expected background usage for an app, closing out that app from the app switcher would be one way of stopping that background usage.

iOSUser7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2014
I think you are misunderstanding what he said. He said that closing all apps from the multitasking all the time won't help with battery life because iOS already have a really good multitasking management, it automatically put apps on hold when the user don't use them which help preserving battery life.

He never told anything about the Facebook app which is a completely different story.

The App Store have a very strict policy about approving apps that are allowed to stay in the background and apps that are not. The only apps that are allowed to stay forever in the background are apps that need to use Voice over IP (mostly apps that have a buit-in calls feature like WhatsApp or Messenger) in order to work properly. iOS will never stop background activity of these apps because otherwise it would interrupt the call.

The Facebook app use Voice over IP for no reason at all (because the app doesn't use it and doesn't need it anyway) to stay forever in the background and that's why it's killing the battery life. Closing the app every time you don't use it stop that background activity and help improve battery life.

mich070

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2013

Not just location services, as various other features can allow an app to run in the background when it has been previously opened and not closed. It doesn't happen with most apps, but it does happen with some, with Facebook being one of the more prominent examples of it. For someone that is seeing higher than expected background usage for an app, closing out that app from the app switcher would be one way of stopping that background usage.

Just check on the battery usage the background activity of the Facebook app. You can clearly see that whenever you "quit" the app (by this i don t mean to kill it from multitask but just go to another app), and it clearly runs in the background. I can confirm this

Reactions: tomcop
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.