Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oscarreed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2020
Is it a foregone reality, or is there a fix for this problem where the Facebook app will not rotate to landscape on an iPhone 8? Hard to believe it's Facebook's mistake or oversight, considering the problem renders its own, wildly popular feature, "Go Live" 100% impossible. So... really?

Oscarreed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2020
If your rotation lock is not turned on then it’s with Facebook.
No. I should've included... rotation lock is off on my phone. All pictures and browsers rotate as they should. It's just the Facebook app.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
No. I should've included... rotation lock is off on my phone. All pictures and browsers rotate as they should. It's just the Facebook app.

Then Facebook may have stopped supporting it with all the vertical video craze across all social networks these days. Must admit, I hate it.

Oscarreed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2020
The more important question you should ask yourself is why you're using it at all
So, is it to be presumed that you speak for all device users on the planet? Do you also drive your car that way, or are there other people in your world? I have a list of reasons why I need this feature to work. What a smug answer.
[automerge]1586092576[/automerge]
Then Facebook may have stopped supporting it with all the vertical video craze across all social networks these days. Must admit, I hate it.
Yeah, man. Thanks anyway.

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
It doesn’t work that way, in fact I’ve never seen anyone browse Facebook on their phone that way, you’d see less that way surely?!

Oscarreed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2020
I must not have made myself clear. Apologies. I'm trying to shoot Facebook Live stream. There is no option to do that in Facebook-via-browser, it only makes itself available in the app itself. And, you need to be able to flip that Facebook app to landscape in order to properly shoot/broadcast Live in landscape mode. Elsewise, your video ends up either vertical (with black/gray fields on either side) or sideways. MAJOR drag to not be able to do this with an iPhone. Anyone with a Samsung or some such Android-type device can do it every day, no problem. However, I have just found the iPhone work-around, if anyone happens to be interested. Maybe you might be, since I've not been able to find anyone anywhere on the web who knows this...

iPhone Work-Around: Facebook Live in Landscape Mode

It was very frustrating for me to discover that, while attempting to shoot a live Facebook video broadcast, the Facebook app would not rotate to landscape orientation when flipping my iPhone 8 to horizontal. This problem renders the user with a portrait (or vertical) video only - or worse: sideways! But, by accident, I stumbled upon a work-around. For some inexplicable reason, landscape mode works perfectly as it should while shooting in “selfie” mode. No idea why. Of course, you don’t want to be shooting in selfie, ‘cause the selfie camera is inferior. But, the discovery led me to the fix. I sincerely hope this helps others with this annoying roadblock…

1.) Hold the iPhone vertically in your hand.

2.) Open the Facebook app.

3.) Keeping the phone vertical, tap the “Live”
Start.jpg
icon.

4.) Remaining vertical, tap the “selfie”
Selfie.jpg
icon.

5.) Rotate phone to horizontal (you'll see your selfie rotate).

6.) Tap the “selfie” icon again to switch camera to outward orientation.

7.) When you’re ready to start broadcasting, tap the blue “Start Live Video”
Start Live Video.jpg
button to begin recording live stream in landscape mode.

When you get the camera in view, you can tap the “To:” and choose “Only Me” for who can see your video. Then you can make private tests to see if I’m totally crazy... which I do not believe I am.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.