Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

contacos

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
Meta released Facebook and Instagram without Ads in the EU yesterday.

Subscribing was already kind of a dick move, because in order to avoid the 30% Apple / Google „tax“ you need to subscribe via Facebook on Desktop (for some reason they don’t offer it for Instagram on Desktop).

However, as I do not have Facebook but still wanted to use Instagram without ads, I decided to create a dummy Facebook account and linked both accounts to the same „Meta account or whatever it’s called).

I subscribed and everything is working fine. It’s almost strange using Instagram without those annoying iPhone phone cases ads in my feed 24/7 tbh!

anyway, half an hour later I get an email from Meta telling me, that my Facebook account was blocked and I am like huh so you are open to taking my money yet you don’t think I am actually real???

For a second I was scared that they also blocked my valuable Instagram account (phew they didn’t) and ads are also still being blocked.

HOWEVER as they have blocked my Facebook account, I literally have no way to actually unsubscribe! Since my account is blocked and I can’t access to dashboard 😵‍💫

Basically Meta blocked my Facebook account for no reason but did not cancel my subscription for an account I actually can’t use. Strange no?

Meta … I should have known 🫠

Just wanted to share my first impression

maurokglisson2

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2023
That's intriguing news! The absence of ads on Facebook and Instagram could offer a unique user experience in the EU. It raises questions about how these platforms plan to sustain themselves without the traditional ad revenue model. I'm curious to learn more about the specifics and whether this ad-free option will be expanded to other regions. It could signal a shift in the way social media platforms explore alternative monetization strategies.​

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.