Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dschulian

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 29, 2015
Germany
Since the latest update of their App, they are using Continuity to nag users.
Evertime I unlock my phone there is a facebook logo at the bottom left.
Also, everytime I open the app switcher, facebook is there and nags me.

I tried logging out and back in. Restart, reinstall. IDK. Think I have to get rid of this ****** app for real.

Anyone had the same issues with other apps or facebook?

Attachments

• Bild 8.jpg
    Bild 8.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 457
  • IMG_0271.jpg
    IMG_0271.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 417

dschulian

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 29, 2015
Germany
The way to stop this is completely unintuitive. I ended up asking Apple:
  • In Settings/General/Spotlight Search, disable Siri Suggestions.
  • From the widget screen, scroll to the bottom, choose Edit, and remove Siri App Suggestions.

I like the feature, I just don't want facebook to use it wrong.

@JasonHB : You haven't had the time to actual read my post? Your post is completely useless.

JasonHB

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2010
Warwickshire, UK
I like the feature, I just don't want facebook to use it wrong.

@JasonHB : You haven't had the time to actual read my post? Your post is completely useless.

I did read your post and the reason that your FB app is showing up in the left hand bottom corner of your phone is explained in that article.

It tells you the exact reason why the app is appearing - it is one of your most used apps and as such, will appear there.

Therefore, as a feature of the iOS, it will keep appearing.

The only way to prevent this is to either disable it completely using the suggestion that Nermal posted, or to delete the FB app and use FB through Safari.

Not a completely useless post, although perhaps I assumed too much.

dschulian

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 29, 2015
Germany
I did read your post and the reason that your FB app is showing up in the left hand bottom corner of your phone is explained in that article.

It tells you the exact reason why the app is appearing - it is one of your most used apps and as such, will appear there.

Therefore, as a feature of the iOS, it will keep appearing.

The only way to prevent this is to either disable it completely using the suggestion that Nermal posted, or to delete the FB app and use FB through Safari.

Not a completely useless post, although perhaps I assumed too much.

Yeah you're right, not completely useless, sorry..

What I did was deleting the app which seemed to be a bad idea... After uninstalling, under Settings > Facebook the App was still shown as "Installed". So I thought: Maybe it's a cache thingy, let's restart the device...

And now I have a bricked device, stuck at the Apple logo... :(

Started it in recovery mode & connected to my MacBook. iTunes says "Unable to contact [...] server"

Well, at least the nagging banner is gone... :C

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Yeah you're right, not completely useless, sorry..

What I did was deleting the app which seemed to be a bad idea... After uninstalling, under Settings > Facebook the App was still shown as "Installed". So I thought: Maybe it's a cache thingy, let's restart the device...

And now I have a bricked device, stuck at the Apple logo... :(

Started it in recovery mode & connected to my MacBook. iTunes says "Unable to contact [...] server"

Well, at least the nagging banner is gone... :C
But the outcome is worse than expected, no? You have a bricked device and you need to resort to restore.

dschulian

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 29, 2015
Germany
But the outcome is worse than expected, no? You have a bricked device and you need to resort to restore.

Yeah, that was just my sarcasm on a Monday.. I'm currently on the phone with AppleCare. I hope they can fix my iDevice.. I would've never expected this when uninstalling the app..

Update:
Holding the home button while connecting to my MacBook did the trick to initiate a iOS reinstall.

Last edited:

Brandon Hobart

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2016
United Kingdom
iOS devices are likely to show up the most used apps on the extreme left corner at the bottom of your screen. And, believe me, there is no way out of it. Deleting, uninstalling and then re-installing the app will probably not work for you. Maybe you can stop Facebook from nagging you by using Safari or get rid of it by upgrading your iPhone or so.

dschulian

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 29, 2015
Germany
iOS devices are likely to show up the most used apps on the extreme left corner at the bottom of your screen. And, believe me, there is no way out of it. Deleting, uninstalling and then re-installing the app will probably not work for you. Maybe you can stop Facebook from nagging you by using Safari or get rid of it by upgrading your iPhone or so.

But still, there were some things clearly broken.

1. They displayed a name that is neither on facebook nor on my phone
2. After I deleted the facebook, the app was still shown as 'installed' under 'Settings > Facebook'
3. The app was also still displayed under 'Settings > General > Storage & iCloud Usage > Manage Storage'
But without it's original icon, the placeholder was shown instead
4. Shortly after checking the settings, the iPhone went slower and slower until my phone changed to a black screen with nothing more then a spinner
5. Boot loop / bricked device

Also, facebook isn't one of my most used apps. I would say it's more like: Safari, Music, Reddit, Instagram, something something, facebook

I think they are doing things to fool the OS. And I think they do something that caused my Phone to die, which shouldn't be possible in the first place, but who knows what's going on behind facebooks 130MB of legacy code

Last edited:

Mike B in ok

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2015
Oklahoma
I uninstalled the app years ago when it did things like post a YouTube video on my FB feed because I added the video to YouTube favorites. The YouTube app infiltrates scarily deep into everything else. I agree, keep away from the FB app and use Safari!

And I'm glad you got your phone unbricked!

Reactions: dschulian

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Not to take away from your anger and frustration with the issue. But, this is simply another hard truth reality why I just refuse to use Facebook...

Reactions: Lennyvalentin

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

2. After I deleted the facebook, the app was still shown as 'installed' under 'Settings > Facebook'
3. The app was also still displayed under 'Settings > General > Storage & iCloud Usage > Manage Storage'
4. Shortly after checking the settings, the iPhone went slower and slower until my phone changed to a black screen with nothing more then a spinner

Also, facebook isn't one of my most used apps. I would say it's more like: Safari, Music, Reddit, Instagram, something something, facebook

I think they are doing things to fool the OS. And I think they do something that caused my Phone to die, which shouldn't be possible in the first place, but who knows what's going on behind facebooks 130MB of legacy code
Facebook will always appear under Settings whether or not the Facebook app is or has been installed, that sections is for Facebook iOS integration and is there for iOS purposes and isn't specifically tied to the Facebook app itself.

dallastigers

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
TX

I had the same thing happen with Facebook app deletion yesterday leaving 130mb with placeholder icon under storage and then boot loop/brick. Unfortunately Apple does not allow my older MacBook to restore iOS 10 on phone and stopped signing anything below iOS 10 last week, but they still let my iTunes download a version of iOS 9, set up it for install, and so on before informing me phone did not qualify for build. Not sure why it would even let my iTunes download a build they will not approve to restore on phone. Neighbors have been gone or don't use apple or I have been busy, so I have not fixed it yet.

Böhme417

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009

That might be how it's supposed to work, but it doesn't work that way for me. I will have some random, very seldom used apps show up there. Certainly mysterious.

I uninstalled the app years ago when it did things like post a YouTube video on my FB feed because I added the video to YouTube favorites. The YouTube app infiltrates scarily deep into everything else. I agree, keep away from the FB app and use Safari!

And I'm glad you got your phone unbricked!

NO. NO. NO. Holy crap! This is one of my biggest pet peeves on these forums. I really wish people would stop with the use of "bricking," especially when it's not being used correctly. If the phone was/is bricked, it would be PERMANENTLY BROKEN. Nothing can be "unbricked." Once a brick, always a brick. It's permanent. Period. Unless the device is permanently, irreparably damaged/broken, it is not a brick.

Oy!

Reactions: Nermal

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
That might be how it's supposed to work, but it doesn't work that way for me. I will have some random, very seldom used apps show up there. Certainly mysterious.

NO. NO. NO. Holy crap! This is one of my biggest pet peeves on these forums. I really wish people would stop with the use of "bricking," especially when it's not being used correctly. If the phone was/is bricked, it would be PERMANENTLY BROKEN. Nothing can be "unbricked." Once a brick, always a brick. It's permanent. Period. Unless the device is permanently, irreparably damaged/broken, it is not a brick.

Oy!
It's more or less too late for that one. Just like literally came to also mean figuratively, bricked has basically crossed over to mean not bricked and just screwed up in one way or another (even if recoverable).

Reactions: Shirasaki

Brandon Hobart

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2016
United Kingdom

Well, Facebook app always appears in your installed apps and settings. It is because Facebook comes pre-installed by default in iOS so that you cannot uninstall it. However, when you hit uninstall, these are the updates of the app that goes out of your iPhone. Thanks to Jesus! I haven't experienced black screen spinner thingy but if the regular uninstalling and reinstalling does not work for you then you should end up contacting Apple for the issue.

Last edited:

dschulian

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 29, 2015
Germany
Well, Facebook app always appears in your installed apps and settings. It is because Facebook comes pre-installed by default in iOS so that you cannot uninstall it.

Facebook will always appear under Settings whether or not the Facebook app is or has been installed, that sections is for Facebook iOS integration and is there for iOS purposes and isn't specifically tied to the Facebook app itself.

Yes, Sherlock & Watson. :) That's what I've said! But if you pay attention to what I wrote, you would've known that I was talking about the "Install / Installed" button INSIDE 'Settings > Facebook' as I mentioned.

Maybe this picture will clear things up:
iphone6s-ios9-settings-facebook.jpg

See: When Facebook is installed, the button is disabled showing 'installed', while it is active and says 'install' when it's not installed. And now, please read my text again. Thanks.

Nice wallpaper

Thanks, it's from No Mans Sky if you're interested: http://imgur.com/GlHQ5vO

Last edited:

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
Nothing can be "unbricked."
I don't think there exists universal consensus on such an absolutist interpretation of the word.

Language is what it is; if people use a word in a certain way, then that's what the word means. You may choose to disagree, but it's as useful as standing in a river, trying to stop the flow, so why waste your time and energy? Language is something ever-changing, fluid, and no one person owns it.

Reactions: Shirasaki

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I don't think there exists universal consensus on such an absolutist interpretation of the word.

Language is what it is; if people use a word in a certain way, then that's what the word means. You may choose to disagree, but it's as useful as standing in a river, trying to stop the flow, so why waste your time and energy? Language is something ever-changing, fluid, and no one person owns it.
Although at times it just happens because of misuse, like literally essetially meaning figuratively these days because of misuse. Or "could care less" meaning "couldn't care less", also because of misuse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.