Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adammusic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 6, 2007
Anyone else experiencing this?
This is how Twitter has been for years, but now it looks like Facebook does it too.
Both auto change to mobile version.

Jerome Rehioui

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2017
Hi guys, had the same issue… But I found a solution:

- Quit Safari.
- Type "Terminal" in spotlight or go to Applications, then utilities, then "Terminal"
- When Terminal open, copy-paste this:

defaults write com.apple.Safari CustomUserAgent "\"Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_9_0) AppleWebKit/537.78.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Safari/537.78.2\""

Type the return key on your keyboard.

Safari will now say to Facebook and others sites that you're using a more recent version of Safari (Safari 7.0) And Facebook will be back to normal :) :) :)

Last edited:
Reactions: BettBee and batone

adammusic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 6, 2007

- Quit Safari.
- Type "Terminal" in spotlight or go to Application, then utilities, then "Terminal"

defaults write com.apple.Safari CustomUserAgent "\"Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_9_0) AppleWebKit/537.78.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Safari/537.78.2\""

Safari will now say to Facebook and others sites that you're using a more recent version of Safari (Safari 7.0) And Facebook will back to normal :) :) :)

this will make the user agent mode safari 7.0 permanent?

mimbrava

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2011
metro Atlanta
I am totally unfamiliar with codes. If I do what Jerome suggests, what possible problems elsewhere could it cause? And if it causes any problems, how would I revert to the current set-up and just deal with mobile Facebook until I finally MUST buy a new computer so I can get a newer OS?

adammusic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 6, 2007
I am totally unfamiliar with codes. If I do what Jerome suggests, what possible problems elsewhere could it cause? And if it causes any problems, how would I revert to the current set-up and just deal with mobile Facebook until I finally MUST buy a new computer so I can get a newer OS?

No problems for me so far. I dont know how to revert back yet. Maybe just clicking "Reset Safari" will work.

Facebook mobile on desktop is un-dealable for me haha

Its pretty easy to do if you follow his instructions step by step.

BettBee

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2010
:) Thanks SO much for posting this fix. It was driving me crazy, but this did the trick. :)

-- BB

- Quit Safari.
- Type "Terminal" in spotlight or go to Applications, then utilities, then "Terminal"

Safari will now say to Facebook and others sites that you're using a more recent version of Safari (Safari 7.0) And Facebook will be back to normal :) :) :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.