Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iRooney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2011
Charleston, SC
Odd question. I have the Facebook app installed on ios6. Runs fine and all notifications come through...except for messages. I sent myself a ton of messages from my wife's account to test it and I never get a single notification. If I install the standalone Facebook Messenger app the push notifications come through immediately. My goal is to not have two apps installed just to run one social media service so I would like to get push working across the board with the stock Facebook app. Any ideas?

As an aside, my wife's iPhone running the same version of iOS gets the push for messages just fine.

Last edited:

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
What's the big deal of having the messenger app? Just put them both in a Facebook folder.

SprSynJn

Sep 15, 2011
Japan
Deleting the Messenger app should have all message notifications come through the standard app. At least that was the case a while back when I tried it. I use the Messenger app now, so I'm not sure if they've changed it.

zekkragnos

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
This happens to me also. I would love to just use the Facebook app for everything but if I delete messenger app, I don't get notified when someone sends me a message. I also tried logging out of the Facebook app and sending me message and I didn't get any notification either. You have to have both apps and also be logged in in both to get all the notifications for your messages. It doesn't make any sense but that's how it works. :/

iRooney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2011
Charleston, SC
This happens to me also. I would love to just use the Facebook app for everything but if I delete messenger app, I don't get notified when someone sends me a message. I also tried logging out of the Facebook app and sending me message and I didn't get any notification either. You have to have both apps and also be logged in in both to get all the notifications for your messages. It doesn't make any sense but that's how it works. :/

My wife's iPhone gets all notifications through the regular Facebook app so this is not true. It must be the Messenger app commandeering the notification for messages. Theoretically, deleting the Messenger app should release the notifications back to the stock app but it isn't happening.

zekkragnos

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
How are you logging out of the Messenger app?

I go into the messenger app and click the menu icon and click switch account. But it says your still log in as my name, maybe cause of Facebook integration or something :/

CharismaticNerd

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2013
Dallas, TX
The logging out of messenger works great! After you log out you'll be prompted to log back in because of the integration but just click "not you" and boom push for messages with the regular app work again

LithePanther

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2011
I laugh at using just 1 facebook app.

I use the facebook app for my regular stuff
I use the facebook messenger app for all messaging
I use the facebook pages app to handle my page
I use the facebook camera app to handle photos

Get on my level!

zekkragnos

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
Found the problem for this, you can't have the Facebook app logged in on both the iPhone at iPad. I log out of the iPad and I instantly get notifications on iPhone for messages, as soon as I log back in, they stopped working ONLY for messages.

iRooney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2011
Charleston, SC
Found the problem for this, you can't have the Facebook app logged in on both the iPhone at iPad. I log out of the iPad and I instantly get notifications on iPhone for messages, as soon as I log back in, they stopped working ONLY for messages.

Irrelevant. I have never logged into Facebook on an iPad. Solution has already been posted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.