Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marty1980

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 22, 2011
I read the security features for FaceID and the biggest issue I see for me is how it handles "changes to your face." It says if you change your face (shave thick beard off), FaceID will require a pin and then it will update your FaceID imprint.

I often allow my family and friends to use my pin to get into my phone for various reasons. I've been begging for guest mode or multi-user support in iOS for many years, but I've at least always had an easy time either registering a new fingerprint for my wife or giving out my pin to people I trust.

I wonder if I can register multiple faces, so my wife can access my phone. I wonder if someone is accessing my phone with my pin, if FaceID will then register that person's face and mine will no longer work until I login with my pin.

I really wish TouchID was on the power button or back of the X, but since it's not there for backup when FaceID fails, I am trying to understand how FaceID will fit into my lifestyle.

Does anyone else have others who access your phone?
How would you want FaceID to handle multiple users?

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I read somewhere that for the time being at least you can only register one face, but you can always just give your pin to anyone you want to grant access to.

Reactions: ABC5S

mwhals

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
Apple allows only one face ID per phone. You will have to setup a pin and give it to those you allow to use your phone.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I read the security features for FaceID and the biggest issue I see for me is how it handles "changes to your face." It says if you change your face (shave thick beard off), FaceID will require a pin and then it will update your FaceID imprint.

I often allow my family and friends to use my pin to get into my phone for various reasons. I've been begging for guest mode or multi-user support in iOS for many years, but I've at least always had an easy time either registering a new fingerprint for my wife or giving out my pin to people I trust.

I wonder if I can register multiple faces, so my wife can access my phone. I wonder if someone is accessing my phone with my pin, if FaceID will then register that person's face and mine will no longer work until I login with my pin.

I really wish TouchID was on the power button or back of the X, but since it's not there for backup when FaceID fails, I am trying to understand how FaceID will fit into my lifestyle.

Does anyone else have others who access your phone?
How would you want FaceID to handle multiple users?
FaceID: multiple faces? (like multiple fingers for TouchID)

marty1980

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 22, 2011
Ok, but what about the feature where if someone enters your pin, it might update FaceID for that person and require you to redo your face print next time you login?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Ok, but what about the feature where if someone enters your pin, it might update FaceID for that person and require you to redo your face print next time you login?
If a person has access to your PIN then that person has access to your device and to do things on your device. They can change your PIN or do various other types of things. Pretty much always been like that.

deadworlds

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2007
Citrus Heights,CA

Where are you get the information that entering your pin updates the faceID stored on the phone? I know Apple mentioned at the keynote that faceID adapts to your face as your face changes. But your face changes at a slow rate, not overnight. I think that faceID will be able to see these slow changes and Therefore adapt to your face.

If there’s an article to your statement about FaceID updating when you use your pin, I’d like to see it.

N54TT

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2013
Where are you get the information that entering your pin updates the faceID stored on the phone? I know Apple mentioned at the keynote that faceID adapts to your face as your face changes. But your face changes at a slow rate, not overnight. I think that faceID will be able to see these slow changes and Therefore adapt to your face.

If there’s an article to your statement about FaceID updating when you use your pin, I’d like to see it.

https://images.apple.com/business/docs/FaceID_Security_Guide.pdf

Marty1980

From the document......”Conversely, if Face ID fails to recognize you, but the match quality is higher than a certain threshold and you immediately follow the failure by entering your passcode, Face ID takes another capture and augments its enrolled Face ID data with the newly calculated mathematical representation.”
So unless the other person entering your pin has similar facial features....I don’t think it’ll pass the “threshold”.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010

I imagine it's like TouchID. The person would have to deliberately go into the settings and change the authorized face. It doesn't just take the face of anyone who's punched in the PIN and replace the old one.
[doublepost=1506552419][/doublepost]
I find it is not a good idea to hand your phone to other people with your security code.

He's talking about trusted people like his wife. I'm more surprised by all the people who feel that they can't trust their partner with access to their phone.

marty1980

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 22, 2011

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/09/27/apple-face-id-security-paper-support-document/

Face ID, as Apple has said, adapts to changes in appearance, and the document gives a bit more info on that topic. If there is a major change in appearance, like the disappearance of a full beard or a significant haircut, Apple will require a passcode and then update the stored facial data accordingly once your identity is confirmed
[doublepost=1506594596][/doublepost]I suppose it will have to be silimar enough in appearance to want to change FaceID. If it updates automatically, it concerned me that it might do so when someone other than me unlocks the phone with my pin. This causing an annoying cycle of reconfiguring FaceID. I just hope it works well enough not to cause these headaches.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.