Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

santela

macrumors regular
May 15, 2017
This is almost exactly what people were saying about TouchID when it was first revealed. There were so many "I don't trust my partner/children not to use my finger when I'm asleep" and "I don't want my fingerprints stored". Within a year very view people seemed to care anymore. But the answer is the same now as it was then. If you're not comfortable with it, don't use it.
The difference is that Touch ID was a new security option without taking away the original passcode method.
[doublepost=1502771025][/doublepost]
Not sure about the "constantly watching and reading me" - tapping the screen or raise to wake should trigger the FaceID function, much like with TouchID, or else battery life would diminish.

Yes that would make sense. Not saying my sense of creepiness is rational or anything.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
The difference is that Touch ID was a new security option without taking away the original passcode method.
[doublepost=1502771025][/doublepost]

Yes that would make sense. Not saying my sense of creepiness is rational or anything.

To be fair, we don't know that we're losing TouchID yet.
If it turns out that we are, I don't disagree with you that it sucks that we'll be force to use face recognition or go back to a pass code.

Deacon-Blues

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
California
I'm very unhappy at the prospect of losing Touch ID. To me facial recognition is the consolation prize for being unable to make Touch ID work in the screen. Apple is going to try to sell it like it's just the best thing ever and we won't miss Touch ID at all, and some of us will drink the koolaid, and some of us won't. Or maybe it will turn out to be great. But right now I have Touch ID on my MBP, my iPad and my iPhone, and I'm really not interested in being forced into something different. Touch ID is working very well for me.

If early reports on the new iPhone demonstrate that facial recognition can be defeated with a photograph, I will be giving a pass on the iPhone 8 entirely.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
If early reports on the new iPhone demonstrate that facial recognition can be defeated with a photograph, I will be giving a pass on the iPhone 8 entirely.

I'll wait it out for the exactly same reasons. Other than the iPhone 4 & 6, I didn't buy any first gen product.

mctrials23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2013
But right now I have Touch ID on my MBP, my iPad and my iPhone, and I'm really not interested in being forced into something different. Touch ID is working very well for me.

The genius behind touchID was that it didn't requite a different way of working to before. It simplified almost every interaction where auth was required. FaceID should in theory make it even easier in some cases. It won't be always on because that would kill the battery but it would be simple enough to enable it whenever the phone is moved at all or something like that. You will pick up your phone and by the time you look at it you will have been authenticated. You then press the virtual home button to go to the app you were in or to the home screen.

It won't be able to be defeated by a photograph I can guarantee. Apple simply won't half arse something that is used for auth so much.

Reactions: SquidRuby and ABC5S

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
TouchID was great when I first got the iPhone 6S, but these last 4 or 5 months, it's dropped off. Works most of the time, but it seems more sensitive to moisture than before. Even worse with the iPad Air 2, which I'm inputting the passcode more often than using TouchID.

I'm leaning toward a much more responsive FaceID mechanism. Hope they get it right.

mctrials23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2013
TouchID was great when I first got the iPhone 6S, but these last 4 or 5 months, it's dropped off. Works most of the time, but it seems more sensitive to moisture than before. Even worse with the iPad Air 2, which I'm inputting the passcode more often than using TouchID.

I'm leaning toward a much more responsive FaceID mechanism. Hope they get it right.

Have you killed your fingerprints and re-added them lately? I think the algorithm "learns" as you use it and I have had quite a lot of issues with it getting worse over time until it simply doesn't recognise me 70-80% of the time. Re-adding my fingerprints always fixes it though.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Have you killed your fingerprints and re-added them lately? I think the algorithm "learns" as you use it and I have had quite a lot of issues with it getting worse over time until it simply doesn't recognise me 70-80% of the time. Re-adding my fingerprints always fixes it though.
Yeah I've had to do that a few times. It starts off ok, but 'forgets' soon after. Thanks.

marty1980

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 22, 2011
For Face ID to work properly the phone needs to be in close proximity. You can get hold of your nephews in such situation. Also, you can specifically restrict in app purchases activity when you give them the phone.

SMH

The Touch ID data at present resides on the device as well. Don't you feel creepy about it? Also, how do you think the data is stored? It's not like your normal JPEG image, not sure if you were aware of that.

Yes I do feel creeped out about TouchID, but moreso about FaceID because that data goes beyond just what you look like. No, I don't think it will be used maliciously, but that's not the point.

I think you're being too judgemental about the whole Face ID situation without even seeing how it's going to work. Knowing Apple's engineering, they must've thought about such basic issues during prototype phase anyway. Such technology must be under development for years.

Judgemental is not the correct way to describe my thoughts on what FaceID might be. I would say that I am causiously unoptimistic.

I didn't like the idea of TouchID, but I use it now. If you pay attention to my posts, I do suggest there's a chance I still get an iPhone. Plus, at this point, it can't be said 100% that TouchID isn't there in some form.

I understand how this technology has come to be and that there is R&A leading to the decision. But to believe there won't be flaws at first is ignorant. I just want a transition period instead of a cold turkey switchover. And yeah, I may not buy the iPhone Pro without TouchID. My loss I guess.

Am I jumping to conclusions? Sure. We'll see how the conversation changes after the announcement.

Reactions: akash.nu

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Yeah I've had to do that a few times. It starts off ok, but 'forgets' soon after. Thanks.

Its really really annoying when touchID doesn't work!

Unfortunately some people just seems to have a tough time with TouchID. My mother could never seem to get it to work right for long. On the other hand, I've had 3 TouchID devices since it debuted in 2014. I unlock my phone and iPad probably dozens of times a day, and I can probably count the times that it didn't work on the first try on one hand.

Aniseedvan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2012
UK
Whilst it's not the same I own a MS lumea 950XL I use for work and I feel a right spanner holding my phone up close enough for the iris scanner to work so I have stopped bothering.
I really like Touch ID and I hope there's a way it will remain...

Reactions: WSPAN1C

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
This reminds me of all the cries about TouchID: "this just means someone can cut off your thumb when they're going to rob you to unlock your phone!"

As far as I know, that's happened precisely zero times in the (nearly) four years since TouchID has been on iPhones.

As long as I don't lose any of the convenience I have with TouchID, I'll be happy.

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
I'm just creeped out by the fact that my phone can be constantly reading my face.
But not creeped out by the fact that it's always listening and that the camera is already always looking at your face every time you hold it up?
[doublepost=1502903129][/doublepost]
It's not a human, a human doesn't see the footage, it's not intelligent and has no conscience. What's to worry about?
Siri turning into skynet. Maybe her being a stupid dumb person is just a disguise and she's actually about to take over the world

Reactions: akash.nu

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009

Also, make sure you really put your finger off-center, rotate it, and so on. Sometimes it complains if you go too far, but whenever I do that I rarely have any issues with my fingerprint. I don't just lift/rest at close to the same angle. I really rotate the phone, angle it, put my finger off center, and so on.

uwdude

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2014
I recently had an S8+ for a while that had all those features, and honestly the face scan did not work very well, the eye scan worked better as long as you opened your eyes wide. If the lighting was different, wearing anything on your head, etc., the face scan did not work and was frustrating. But you know what I ended up using most of the time, because it turned out to be easier? Going back to the plain old typing in a pass code. And that's what Mossberg said too when he was reviewing it. You don't have time to sit there trying to get a face scan to work, you need into your phone. We are heading back to the passcodes.

Reactions: WSPAN1C

mctrials23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2013
I recently had an S8+ for a while that had all those features, and honestly the face scan did not work very well, the eye scan worked better as long as you opened your eyes wide. If the lighting was different, wearing anything on your head, etc., the face scan did not work and was frustrating. But you know what I ended up using most of the time, because it turned out to be easier? Going back to the plain old typing in a pass code. And that's what Mossberg said too when he was reviewing it. You don't have time to sit there trying to get a face scan to work, you need into your phone. We are heading back to the passcodes.

Does the S8+ not have a fingerprint reader. Also, the facial recognition on that is entirely camera based and known to be pretty ****. Apples faceID will be nearly perfect if they remove touchID and even if they keep touchID I would put a lot of money on them doing it really really well.

Just because the competition does something badly doesn't mean apple will. There were fingerprint readers before apple, they were just nowhere near as good. Thats what apple are so good at. They take something that is poorly executed or conceived and they make it brilliant. There are not that many new technologies you can put in a phone that are not already about. The thing you can do it to look at these technologies and think about how you can actually make them useful.

Abiyork

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
Its how it integrates with apple pay which is the big question to me. Do you scan your face and then have 5 seconds to put the phone over the reader to pay?

Benny_G

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2015
I can't see them dropping Touch ID altogether. I have the newly released MBPr, that still has a Touch ID sensor. If face ID was the new norm, I would have expected this to also have it, and possibly even drop the touch sensor too. I too also have a feeling Face ID will be flawed and a bypass/hack will be found few months down the line.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Some people are saying that just because Apple have Touch ID on their other devices they will not get rid off it on the iPhone 8. I find that argument baseless, Apple have headphone jacks on every other device but they got rid off it on the iPhone 7 because they wanted to.

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
Just skip this phone and get the one next year when they bring back touch ID in the screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.