Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

c14nhl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 30, 2008
Edinburgh
Something I was concerned about prior to upgrading was the ability to unlock the new iPads while lying flat on a desk.

I use mine a lot for note taking, using TouchID made accessing the locked device easy, wherever it lay on the desk.

I’m pleasantly surprised at how well FaceID unlocks from angles I thought wouldn’t be possible. I position FaceID at the bottom of the device when lying on a desk, I’ve always used that “upside down” orientation when note taking. Not sure if that helps with the sensor being closer to my face, but I’ve not had any trouble unlocking when laying flat on my desk.

Wanted to share my experience in case others use their device in a similar way and had concern.

Of course there will be limitations and if the device was at a greater distance from me, I may run into issues. But as I’m note taking, the device is usually at a pretty close proximity to me anyway.

Marzel

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2018
Yes the FaceID implementation on the iPad Pro is the best so far. The only annoying part is that I keep obstructing the sensors with my finger since I use it in landscape mode mostly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.