Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rcma

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
Hi all,

my iPhone 11 Pro suddenly started to unlock via FaceID while wearing a mask.
Currently I know of only two workaround how to do that: Using an Apple Watch or the unofficial FaceID scan with half face/ half mask.

I have neither an Apple Watch nor did I do the FaceID mask scan, yet I'm able to unlock the phone wearing an KN95 mask.

As far as I know FaceID needs to recognize the mouth in order to work. Is this something to be concerned about in terms of security?

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
Hi all,

my iPhone 11 Pro suddenly started to unlock via FaceID while wearing a mask.
Currently I know of only two workaround how to do that: Using an Apple Watch or the unofficial FaceID scan with half face/ half mask.

I have neither an Apple Watch nor did I do the FaceID mask scan, yet I'm able to unlock the phone wearing an KN95 mask.

As far as I know FaceID needs to recognize the mouth in order to work. Is this something to be concerned about in terms of security?
What's the half mask trick?

sirenum

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2009
Same here. All of a sudden my iPhone unlocks even when I'm wearing a mask. It even works for Apple Pay and I don't have an Apple Watch either. Should I be concerned?

Reactions: Ram65

Ram65

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
Same here. All of a sudden my iPhone unlocks even when I'm wearing a mask. It even works for Apple Pay and I don't have an Apple Watch either. Should I be concerned?
A security issue is definitely in order be careful

ecatomb

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2021
France
Yes, could be nice

I love FaceID, but with the mask I would go back to touchID even if security is lower with it (unless a bug like of FaceID like in this thread)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.