Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
It's not just you, faster Face ID is one of the features they mentioned at the iOS 13 announcement.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I find it noticeably quicker on my XS Plus. Anyone else?

willdude

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2010
Yeah I came here to say the same thing. I didn’t realize this was an iOS 13 feature and immediately noticed it. Very impressive. I find iOS 13 to seem faster overall, though I think some of that is slightly sped-up animations.

Reactions: BluefinTuna

First Post G

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 22, 2011
NYC
The animation is definitely speedier, but I think it’s because the authentication is faster. I can tell logging into apps like chase banking and Amex is much quicker.

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
Yup definitely a bit faster than the previous os...
That’s on my XS Max...

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Yep, both the detection & animation are faster on the iPhone X. It matches the speed of the iPad Pro 11”. Very nice!

Derek87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2009
i have noticed it is much faster than the touted 30% on my XS. very impressive upgrade since i thought the 11's ushered in improvements via hardware (they still may have with better angles, etc.)

it also seems more reliable. i've found that if i have "attention required" Face ID gets a bit wonky on me in very odd shadow situations like evening in our family room with only a floor lamp illuminating the room, or if i have a bright window behind me. because of this, i have often turned off "attention required." this results in a faster, more reliable FaceID for me.

i should also say, i don't have much stereo vision so i think that might also create problems for Face ID.

yet, ios13 seems faster and more reliable so i have thus far been able to use "attention required" without any hiccups in the past 24 hours. we'll see if that continues. so far, with "attention required" it seems much faster than before and i daresay at least as fast as it was with ios12, with "attention required" disabled.

nice work apple!
[automerge]1569009106[/automerge]

August West

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2009
Land of Enchantment
For me, the increased speed of FaceID is the best feature in IOS 13. Very noticeable on my iPhone XS Max.

Before upgrading my XS Max I was playing around with the beta versions on my iPhone 6s Plus. What struck me going back to the 6s was just how fast TouchID was compared the FaceID. While I like FaceID it kind of sucked living with the slowness when I went back to the XS Max. Much better now. Maybe still not to the TouchID level but livable.

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
The animation is definitely speedier, but I think it’s because the authentication is faster. I can tell logging into apps like chase banking and Amex is much quicker.
Yea I notice it more when my phone needs authentication, much faster.

BluefinTuna

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2019
FaceID is basically instant on my iPhone X now. With overall better performance in iOS 13 and dark mode, I see no reason to do a hardware upgrade. It’s pretty impressive to be honest.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.