Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cosmicperspectives

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2021
Hello! I am having trouble turning off my FaceID. The infrared light seems to follow my eyes and makes me nauseous. I have turned off all of the settings but the light is still on.
A962AAA5-CBCC-48C3-B24C-CFF8634E1C9F.jpeg

Matcha

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2021
That's the Proximity Sensor. It can't be turned off.
truedepth-iphone-x-100735946-large.jpg

Last edited:

jdavid_rp

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2020
That's the Proximity Sensor. It can't be turned off.
View attachment 1825621
Wouldnt be the proximity sensor off? AFAIK it only turns on when you may put your phone on your ear like on a call or on a chat to listen to an audio. Also I think that its light (if it really makes one) cant be that strong to be felt by a person. If that was the case OP would have issues with all the phones on the market.

I would say is the flood illuminator. OP should check if FaceID is really off and all the features like "Attention-Aware Features" on FaceID & Passcode settings that use FaceID.

Reactions: DeepIn2U and Matcha

Matcha

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2021
Wouldnt be the proximity sensor off? AFAIK it only turns on when you may put your phone on your ear like on a call or on a chat to listen to an audio. Also I think that its light (if it really makes one) cant be that strong to be felt by a person. If that was the case OP would have issues with all the phones on the market.

I would say is the flood illuminator. OP should check if FaceID is really off and all the features like "Attention-Aware Features" on FaceID & Passcode settings that use FaceID.
I think you're right, proximity sensor is only active during a phone call it seems.
I thought it was the proximity sensor from the diagram of the notch.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
The new iPhones always are flashing no matter what settings you turn off.
If it's bothersome, stick some black tape over the dreaded notch

Reactions: DeepIn2U

edhchoe

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2011
Cam infrared camera be used to measure temperature?
Is there such app?

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
That ^

Check out this thread. Lots of people can't tolerate staring at an iPhone OLED screen.

cosmicperspectives

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2021

ALL FACE ID settings are OFF.

the light is making me sick.

no one can tell me how to turn it off.

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
Incidentally the SE2 has a LCD panel so if it turns out to be the OLED that’s making you sick you’ll be good to go.

jdavid_rp

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2020
Incidentally the SE2 has a LCD panel so if it turns out to be the OLED that’s making you sick you’ll be good to go.
Yeah, if its their first OLED phone, it could be the screen. The first time I got my iPhone X I would feel a bit dizzy using it. Its because iPhones manage their brightness changing how many times it flashes per second. As the brightness gets lower, it will flash less and less and thats when some people brains can feel this on, off, on, off, on, off... thing and feel dizzy.

So OP, you could try to use the iPhone only at max brightness and check if that makes any difference

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.