Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Johny24max

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2009
I have a Late 2014 iMac and ever since I upgraded it to Mojave, I haven't been able to use FaceTime it just hangs (Color wheel appears) and iMessage would would work half the time and would the same thing but sometimes it will load up and sometimes it won't.

I tried re-installing the operating system to reinstall the files same problem
I tried erasing hard drive and doing a time machine restore same problem

I tried erasing the hard drive the hard drive and just doing a clean install to see if my hardware is causing this so I loaded up iMessage and FaceTime and they both worked with no problems. So I went into migration system in order to transfer all my files from the backup and I started to have problems all over again?

Please help I don't know what to do?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-03-31 at 7.25.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-31 at 7.25.31 PM.png
    241 KB · Views: 242

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
hi

normally when both Messages and FaceTime are not working its likely an iCloud issue, or, apple ID issue.

but in yr case, the app itself is not even loading, is that correct?

from yr screenshot, memory is certain sufficient.

you might want to try the following:

on the occasion you can get iMessage to load, go to its Preferences within the app, and unclick Enable this account.
And then after that, Sign Out.

maybe as simple as a password or account ID issue.

in Facetime, also sign out of it from within the FaceTime app.

restart yr machine.

then see if Messages loads.
if it does, then Sign in and Enable the account.

do it as well for FaceTime if it works for Messages.

its quite possible that if you do the above, even if it works, you may lose yr past stored messages. things like that seem to still be happening with Messages, especially if the status you are starting from has been error plagued.

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
I haven't really used much FaceTime before even on my iPhone but I just got a new MacBook Air 2018 and I'm testing FaceTime. I seems to work so that I can make and receive FaceTime calls on my Air, but I cannot transfer ongoing Facetime call from it to my iPhone or other way around. But normal calls using cellular networks seems to transfer just fine in both ways. How to make plain FaceTime calls to work also that way?

They are both of course set up using the same Apple ID etc. and since cellular calls work both ways, I guess settings should be right on both devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.