Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 13, 2006
Tried using FaceTime Audio this past week because I have horrible cell reception in my bedroom but wifi works great.

Called a friend who was in his bedroom, there was a movie playing in his living. I could barely hear anything he said, and the movie was coming through loud and clear.

He said he's noticed the same problem with all facetime audio calls that he makes, the background noise is amped rather than cancelled.

Apple has some pretty great noise cancelling mics in their phones, any idea why they're not utilized for facetime calls?

We both use iPhone 5.

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 13, 2006
he is watching a movie, he prob has you on speaker.

No, you probably misread my post. The movie was in the other room. We were speaking ear to ear, it was clear that no background noise was being cancelled as happens through the normal phone app.

I'm curious as to why Apple won't include this functionality over facetime audio, and curious to hear if others are experiencing the same issue.

I encourage anyone curious to make two calls with the same person in a row, one standard and one facetime audio. There will most likely be a huge difference between the two.

CyBeRino

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011
You should try if the same happens while on the phone without facetime. It's possible his phone is malfunctioning.

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 13, 2006
You should try if the same happens while on the phone without facetime. It's possible his phone is malfunctioning.

it does not happen when not on facetime. when we're talking through the standard phone app and AT&T, things are crystal clear and all background noise is muted.

rschlack

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2015
Works fine with Skype but not with Facetime

I've tried using an external noise cancellation headset and an external cam with a mic built in. With both I can hear everything crystal clear using Facetime but the people on the other side hear horrible background noise. I have my laptop plugged into an external monitor, so the laptop is closed. I have an external blutooth keyboard and mouse.

However, when I switch to skype everything is fine. It has to be software related to Facetime. The only thing I can think is that somehow the internal mic is not being shut down and they are picking up the noise from the internal fan.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.