Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phillyman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
Hi all, we just ran into a weird bug (?) at our home. I thought homepods could make FaceTime audio calls independently of iOS devices.
I just tried to complete a FaceTime audio call through HomePod mini and it said it needed find my phone to complete a FaceTime audio call (I had it in my car outside of wifi range). It understood that it was a FaceTime call and NOT a cell call. I do understand the difference and the device did too.

I'm a tad confused, I thought the homepods could work on their own. The reason this might be an issue for me is I set up a couple of minis at a weekend cottage and had originally planned to make it a bit of a device free place. Just have my music and if needed I could complete a FaceTime call or could be reached through the homepods. I guess that would not work?

Or is there another issue? Like I said I was convinced I could complete a FaceTime audio call on a HomePod as long as it had internet and was properly set up. It seems like that premise was wrong. Anyone able to confirm/deny. The moment the phone was within wifi it worked. So do HomePod FaceTime audio calls get passed off to an iOs device?

Thanks,
Philly

PS: The chip can't be the reason, so a bit at a loss

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
I am a bit of a novice when it comes to home automation using Apple. I’m just getting started setting up a new home we will be moving into soon.

I’ve noticed there are some things that require my phone or watch. A good example are my Yale locks. I can tell a HomePod mini to lock the front door and it will. However if I tell the same HomePod mini to unlock the door, it says I must use my phone.

This is probably a good thing. I wouldn’t want a stranger to be able to talk to my mini in the foyer through an open window and unlock the door. I do enjoy unlocking my front door with Siri via my watch as I approach.

My phone and watch are authenticated to me, so it can perform more secure tasks. Maybe making a facetime call is considered in that category.

Reactions: dotme

iGeek2019

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2019
No Selection

I can see your confusion - this Support article says an iPhone is required for telephone calls but not FaceTime Audio yet I've just tried the same with my iPhone in Airplane Mode and it replied it was looking for a connection for my phone.

phillyman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008

I can see your confusion - this Support article says an iPhone is required for telephone calls but not FaceTime Audio yet I've just tried the same with my iPhone in Airplane Mode and it replied it was looking for a connection for my phone.
Thank you, I appreciate your reply. I get the difference. Some of family members do not. But again when I use the call/phone the mini becomes more or less a microphone/speaker bluetooth connection to my cell.

I assumed or thought I had read that the HomePod could do a FaceTime Audio separately. I wonder what would happen if you didn't have an iPhone tied to your Apple ID? I for years only had Macs and iPads which seamlessly worked with my Apple ID email as a primary identifier.

I'll run some tests one of these weekends and see what I figure out

Beerstalker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2011
Peoria, IL
I believe that article is worded poorly. I think that it is trying to say for telephone calls an iPhone is required, for FaceTime calls either an iPhone or iPad can be used. You can't make any calls without at least one of those devices on the same WiFi network.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
it may have something to do with personal requests. It uses the phone as a way to identify that you are actually there and it's not someone trying to snoop on you, not for any particular hardware.

Reactions: kitKAC and Itinj24
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.