Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lparsons21

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 3, 2014
Southern Illinois
With iOS 12 and FaceTime I can’t start a FaceTime call using the iPhone or WiFi calling to a phone number, even if the contacts is in my contacts app.

I can call from the iPad from the contacts app just fine though, but it isn’t using FaceTime or at least doesn’t appear so.

lparsons21

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 3, 2014
Southern Illinois
It appears that FaceTime with iOS 12 cannot make a call to someone not on iOS at all.

But since I can make the call from Contacts, it seems I should be able to make a call to non-iOS users but other than from inside Contacts I can’t find a way.

lparsons21

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 3, 2014
Southern Illinois
Facetime has always been iOS to iOS only.
Not true. FaceTime has been capable of calling anyone with a phone number for quite some time. I did it all the time and was able to do it this morning on my MacBook Air until I updated to Mojave.

Note it is a voice call using either WiFi calling or the iphone

lparsons21

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 3, 2014
Southern Illinois
A little follow up.
You can call from FaceTime to a non-user if they have called you. It will show up and allow for calling or messaging to them. What you can’t do is start a new call to a non-iOS user or number from FaceTime.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.