Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tgd85

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
Recently, my iPhone 8 Plus has been experiencing a graphics issue with the front camera while using FaceTime.

During a video call, the front camera returns a distorted purple / pink static-like image for several seconds before returning to normal function. The issue occurs during longer FaceTime calls (20 - 25 mins) with a single caller. The distortion can be seen in the PiP on my display and the display of the person I am FaceTiming with. These calls are made over wifi. Also not sure if the back camera suffers from the same problem.

My initial thought was that this looks like a hardware issue affecting the phone's logic board. It looks exactly like the graphics issues that plagued my 2011 MacBook Pro. I spoke with a tech at an Apple Store today who said he'd come across this issue several times during early iOS 12 beta versions that incorporated the Group Chat feature into FaceTime. He thought that the issue was likely caused by a software glitch in iOS version 12.1.1.

Wondering if anyone has experienced a similar issue? Thoughts on whether its a hardware vs software issue? Is this something that could be fixed by replacing the entire front display or is the problem more indicative of a problem with the logic board?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.