Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

torontosportsfan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 1, 2016
Toronto, Ontario Canada
For some reason on my 8 Plus if I wanted to FaceTime my Dad on his 8 his contact does not show as being able to do it, however all my other contacts with iPhones it shows FaceTime for them. However he is able to FaceTime me if he makes the call. So what is the reason for this?

RvXtm

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2011
Timisoara, Romania
I have the same issue with one of my friends, i personally set up his iphone for him, i have other test iphones where i have his as a contact, all perfect on those phones, but on my account (my X) he is not showing up as facetime enabled.
Tried to remove the contact, add him again, no success.

From his side all my numbers are facetime enabled, including my primary phone.

EDIT : also on my ipad and macbook attached to my primary account i have the same issue, no facetime .

Looks to be an Apple issue, since all my other contacts are ok.

torontosportsfan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 1, 2016
Toronto, Ontario Canada
I did the exact same things you did and still no luck fixing it. I even put the word iPhone beside his name in the contact and still didn't work.

Now I can still send him a text and it will go through as an iMessage because his name and number comes up in blue, so that part still works.

RvXtm

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2011
Timisoara, Romania
I did the exact same things you did and still no luck fixing it. I even put the word iPhone beside his name in the contact and still didn't work.

Now I can still send him a text and it will go through as an iMessage because his name and number comes up in blue, so that part still works.

Exactly for me, also if i go the the actual facetime app and search for him, i can see he is "facetime audio" enabled, but the video icon is disabled.

Try this, go to the facetime app and search for the contact you have this issue with, see if you can see him as audio facetime as well.

RvXtm

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2011
Timisoara, Romania
Guys, as stated, i have 3 iphones, on different numbers and different accounts. On two of my phones i have his number and it works, on my phone and other devices on same personal account, it does not show as facetime.

torontosportsfan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 1, 2016
Toronto, Ontario Canada
Guys, as stated, i have 3 iphones, on different numbers and different accounts. On two of my phones i have his number and it works, on my phone and other devices on same personal account, it does not show as facetime.
This coming Friday I have an appointment at the Apple Store for a different issue, however while I'm there I can ask about this as well.
[doublepost=1510437480][/doublepost]
I have the same issue with one of my friends, i personally set up his iphone for him, i have other test iphones where i have his as a contact, all perfect on those phones, but on my account (my X) he is not showing up as facetime enabled.
Tried to remove the contact, add him again, no success.

From his side all my numbers are facetime enabled, including my primary phone.

EDIT : also on my ipad and macbook attached to my primary account i have the same issue, no facetime .

Looks to be an Apple issue, since all my other contacts are ok.
You don't think this happened because his previous phone was a BlackBerry? As I said before I'm still able to send him an iMessage, so on my 8 Plus it knows he also has an iPhone. So I guess like with you this is just a coincidence and an issue with Apple?

RvXtm

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2011
Timisoara, Romania
This coming Friday I have an appointment at the Apple Store for a different issue, however while I'm there I can ask about this as well.
[doublepost=1510437480][/doublepost]You don't think this happened because his previous phone was a BlackBerry? As I said before I'm still able to send him an iMessage, so on my 8 Plus it knows he also has an iPhone. So I guess like with you this is just a coincidence and an issue with Apple?

Don’t know what to say, i even restored my iPad and still the same, it shoud not matter what his old phone was.
It is something localized to my personal icloud account on serverside, since all my other icloud accounts work.

Also adding his icloud email works . Only the phone number is the issue.

torontosportsfan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 1, 2016
Toronto, Ontario Canada
I honestly don't know how this fixed itself but today when I look at my Dad's contact I can now FaceTime him like my other contacts with an iPhone. The only thing I did on his iPhone 8 was turn off location services, however I don't think that made a difference.

RvXtm

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2011
Timisoara, Romania
I still believe it was a server issue probably where your account and your dad's account were hosted inside Apple.
For me it is still not fixed, only workaround was to add my friend's icloud email to the contact.

sfjoey

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2017
I still believe it was a server issue probably where your account and your dad's account were hosted inside Apple.
For me it is still not fixed, only workaround was to add my friend's icloud email to the contact.

I have the same issue where I setup my mom with my old iPhone 7 plus and I cannot FaceTime her from my iPhone X. She can FaceTime me and I can FaceTime her from my mac and iPad, but for some reason I cannot FaceTime her from my iPhone X. I can answer her FaceTime calls, but I cannot initiate with her contact.

I have both her phone number and iCloud email added there, and neither work.

If we are on a phone call I can click the FaceTime button and it switches over.

Only an issue from contacts and from the FaceTime app directly.

Spoke with apple customer care and they are at a loss as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.