Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
So, after years of working perfectly on my 2017 27" Intel iMac, all of sudden FaceTime cannot connect to anyone. It "connects," but all I get is a screen that has my video in the lower right corner, and the initials of the other party in a circle in the middle. Can't hear them either. I have:

--Restarted the iMac
--Done a cleaning with Clean My Mac
--Reset the PRAM, NVRAM and SMC
--Deleted the plist file in ~library/preferences
--Latest MacOS update installed and time and region settings confirmed

The iMac is working off a wired 1 gig symmetrical fiber optic Internet service.

I contacted Apple support, by they do troubleshooting as if I don't know how to plug a computer into the wall, so I hung up.

Also, I can FaceTime without a problem on my Macbook Pro and iPhone.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Last edited:

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Install latest macOS updates. Check the date and time settings and your region setting.

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Tried it though a guest account, on wifi. Same. What the heck can it be? The iMac works perfectly otherwise.

Josiana

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2018
Sweden
I am having the exact same problem, but with iPad Pro 11. It has been working fine for months, and then after the recent update I cannot for the life of me FaceTime video. Restarted, reset, everything, and still no video or audio, just a grey screen.

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Well I guess we've established that this is Apple's doing. The question is, is it happening to enough people that Apple will do something about it?

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Try turning FaceTime off and then again?
Try logging out of iCloud and logging back in?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.