Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PurpleHillsMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2018
Hi all,

I've noticed that FaceTime Video hangs up on me every 19 seconds after connecting and FaceTime Audio hangs up 20 seconds after connecting.

Tested on:
iPhone 7 - iPhone X
iPhone X - iPhone 8 Plus
iPhone X - iPad Air

All devices are running the latest iOS.

Is anybody else encountering this issue?

I've reached out to Apple with this issue and I am waiting for them to look into it and get back to me.

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
Does this happen on 4G or Wifi? Or both? If it's only on Wifi, it's likely an issue with your router settings. On 4G... that would be weird.

PurpleHillsMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2018
Yes, and this issue is occurring on my mom’s iPhone too. She’s using an iPhone 7.

Apple is looking into to for me and I’ll post back whatever they tell me.

crawfish963

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Texas
Intersting. FaceTime hasn't worked properly since they introduced the group feature. What a nightmare.

PurpleHillsMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2018
Intersting. FaceTime hasn't worked properly since they introduced the group feature. What a nightmare.

Yeah, I've found that it goes to an eternal "reconnecting" on longer calls. "Poor Connection" comes on all the time for me, and it gets stuck on that even if the connection improves. The only way I found to fix it is to call back.

crawfish963

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Texas
FWIW, I have a 400 meg connection at home and still get the "Poor connection" message when FaceTiming from the other room with another device in the house.

PurpleHillsMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2018
FWIW, I have a 400 meg connection at home and still get the "Poor connection" message when FaceTiming from the other room with another device in the house.

I'll bring this up to Apple when they call back about my other issue. We can only hope that the more we ask, the sooner they'll iron out the bugs...

Reactions: crawfish963

crawfish963

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Texas
I wonder how much of it has to do with server allocation for FaceTime. I can't think of any other reason why it would be so slow. It's almost like Apple is bottlenecking FaceTime most of the time. Or maybe it's just the NSA spying and eating up bandwidth :)

Reactions: PurpleHillsMac

PurpleHillsMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2018
I'll bring this up to Apple when they call back about my other issue. We can only hope that the more we ask, the sooner they'll iron out the bugs...

IMO, FaceTime was hands down the best calling service for a long time. But recently it seems to be buggy
[doublepost=1551578996][/doublepost]
I wonder how much of it has to do with server allocation for FaceTime. I can't think of any other reason why it would be so slow. It's almost like Apple is bottlenecking FaceTime most of the time. Or maybe it's just the NSA spying and eating up bandwidth :)

Let me guess, maybe a combo of both? Now that we mentioned the NSA, we're definitely gonna be spyed on...

Reactions: crawfish963

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
Not an issue for me or anyone in the family (5-6 different devices being used across different parts of the country). That sounds like an odd issue, though. Is the call failing, or is the app crashing? Is there any other common point of failure, like a common internet connection that is involved?

PurpleHillsMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2018
Not an issue for me or anyone in the family (5-6 different devices being used across different parts of the country). That sounds like an odd issue, though. Is the call failing, or is the app crashing? Is there any other common point of failure, like a common internet connection that is involved?

Same here with me, we’re all spread across different countries and using a mix of wifi and 4G. It’s really an odd one. The app doesn’t crash, it just hangs up and makes the hang up chime.

fyun89

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2014
I'm having this exact issue as well.
I dont think I had this issue before iOS12 but I started to notice this since late last year. It goes away and comes back later. It seems to be a problem on Apple's side

PurpleHillsMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2018
I'm having this exact issue as well.
I dont think I had this issue before iOS12 but I started to notice this since late last year. It goes away and comes back later. It seems to be a problem on Apple's side

Interesting, then it’s not only me that’s having this issue. I’m still waiting on a reply from Apple. I’ll contact them tomorrow and bug them for an answer.

Aidy06

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2011
Happens to me also, will say ‘reconnecting’ and then it will ring again. I’ll answer and it will keep doing it like it’s in a loop, happens over 4G and WiFi. This has only been an issue for me since installing beta 4.

fyun89

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2014
Happens to me also, will say ‘reconnecting’ and then it will ring again. I’ll answer and it will keep doing it like it’s in a loop, happens over 4G and WiFi. This has only been an issue for me since installing beta 4.
In my case, I never see "reconnecting". It just drops the call with a record being "call failed" in my phone app's history.
I don't know if this is relevant, but my phone is iPhone X (2017)

Aidy06

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2011
In my case, I never see "reconnecting". It just drops the call with a record being "call failed" in my phone app's history.
I don't know if this is relevant, but my phone is iPhone X (2017)

iPhone X here also. Happens every time without fail for me, strange.

fyun89

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2014
iPhone X here also. Happens every time without fail for me, strange.
Turning off and on sometimes cured for me.
May be just to have more info out, I normally do facetime audio at night time in PST zone. Idk if it is the usual time when Apple does server inspection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.