Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Slash787

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 9, 2019
I use FaceTime to video call my mom from my iPhone to her iPhone

I recently bought an android tablet and I am looking for some app to call on her iPhone from my android tablet.

Which apps would you recommend where I just install it once on my tablet and her iPhone and not keep on logging again and again?

I thought of Whatsapp but I don't want to log in with my number on my tablet.

I just want something in which she could just call me easily when she opens the app and not by sending a link or code as a message to join the "meeting"

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
I thought of Whatsapp but I don't want to log in with my number on my tablet.

I don't have Whatsapp on my tablet (I only have it on my phone), but what do you see as the issue with doing this? I believe Whatsapp does have multi device support.

aggie99

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2016
Dallas, TX
Facebook Messenger, Google Meet, Snapchat, or creating a link and initiating a facetime call from apple to android is pretty simple.

Slash787

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 9, 2019
Facebook Messenger, Google Meet, Snapchat, or creating a link and initiating a facetime call from apple to android is pretty simple.
Well my mom does not even knows how to copy and paste, so for her creating a link would be difficult, she does not uses Facebook and Snapchat, I haven't looked much into google meet, but she does not have a gmail account.

Slash787

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 9, 2019
I don't have Whatsapp on my tablet (I only have it on my phone), but what do you see as the issue with doing this? I believe Whatsapp does have multi device support.
Yes Whatsapp would support multidevice, but I don't want all my messages and other things to come on my tablet. I only use Whatsapp on my phone and that's where I only want it.

Any other app you would recommend?

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
Yes Whatsapp would support multidevice, but I don't want all my messages and other things to come on my tablet. I only use Whatsapp on my phone and that's where I only want it.

Any other app you would recommend?

Aside from Whatsapp, I only use Zoom and Teams for video calls. But they're probably not optimal for simplicity.

Perhaps try one of the others mentioned in this thread (I haven't tried them myself).

she does not uses Facebook and Snapchat, I haven't looked much into google meet, but she does not have a gmail account

If all she has is an Apple account, she's going to need to create another account for something if you can't use Facetime.

Skype might be worth a look if you have any reason not to want to create a Google or Facebook account, but find Microsoft acceptable. I haven't used Skype in years (I thought it had been been replaced by Teams), but it seems to be still going. From what I remember, it was pretty simple to use once setup. However, my guess would be that Google Meet or Facebook Messenger would be even simpler.

Last edited:

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Will you not have your phone with you at all times whilst you're using your tablet? Just answer the phone when your mother calls.

Reactions: tbayrgs

sadish

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2020
You can get a base model iPad and give it to her. It is much easier in my opinion.

Slash787

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 9, 2019
Will you not have your phone with you at all times whilst you're using your tablet? Just answer the phone when your mother calls.
Yeah I do have my phone most of the times, it's for when I am basically out of town or on a trip and most of the day I am out, when I reach the hotel I am tired and my battery is almost out and many times the charging socket is not near the bed.

So I just want to use my tablet to make the call and let my phone charge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.