Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Redsfan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
Greater Toronto Area
Just bought an M2 MBA and figured trying to sell our used 2013 MBP. For the life of us we can't figure out how to do a clean factory reset, and I read the need to boot into recovery mode but everything I try does not work. What seems to be the answer is Power Off and when the Apple chime comes: hold Power, or hold Power/CMD/R at the same time. Only success we have is the login screen.

Any other suggestions? The R on the keyboard doesn't quite work so perhaps this is why? Not sure...

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
First, be sure it is signed OUT of iTunes and iCloud.

If the "R" on the keyboard doesn't work, you need an EXTERNAL WIRED USB keyboard.
Plug it in and use it.
However, I could not in good conscience sell a MacBook Pro with a keyboard that isn't 100%.
You had better disclose this to any potential buyer.
Really, it's more of a "give away" item at this point.
Anyway...

Do this (from a powered off state):
- press and HOLD this key combo:
Command-OPTION-R
... and press the power-on button.
KEEP HOLDING THOSE KEYS DOWN.
This is INTERNET recovery.

- When the Mac asks for your wifi password, you can let go of the keys and enter it.
- The internet utilities take a while to load, be patient.

- When the internet utilities are loaded, open disk utility.
- VERY IMPORTANT: go to the "view" menu and choose "show all devices".
(you can't see the internal drive until you do this!)

- Look at "the list on the left".
- The topmost item is the drive inside.
- Click on the internal drive ONE time to select it, then click the "erase" button.
- Erase to "APFS, GUID partition format".
- Quit disk utility and open the OS installer

- The OS installer should offer you OS 11 "Big Sur".
- Start "clicking through". The Mac will reboot one or more times, and the screen will go dark for a minute or more, with no other indication of activity.
- When done, you should see the initial setup screen (choose your language).

At this point, type "command-Q" to quit the installer.
Then see if you can shut it down using the menus.
Or... just PRESS AND HOLD the power on button until the screen goes dark and the Mac shuts down.

It's now ready for the next owner.

Reactions: Redsfan

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Just bought an M2 MBA and figured trying to sell our used 2013 MBP. For the life of us we can't figure out how to do a clean factory reset, and I read the need to boot into recovery mode but everything I try does not work. What seems to be the answer is Power Off and when the Apple chime comes: hold Power, or hold Power/CMD/R at the same time. Only success we have is the login screen.

Any other suggestions? The R on the keyboard doesn't quite work so perhaps this is why? Not sure...
Apple has an entire document on this. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201065
If you have a firmware password enabled then you won’t be able to boot into recovery. You want to use internet recovery, which is command-option-r. Don’t hold power while you do this, but rather press power to turn on the computer then immediately release the power button and hold command-option-R.

Reactions: Redsfan

Redsfan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
Greater Toronto Area
First, be sure it is signed OUT of iTunes and iCloud.

If the "R" on the keyboard doesn't work, you need an EXTERNAL WIRED USB keyboard.
Plug it in and use it.
However, I could not in good conscience sell a MacBook Pro with a keyboard that isn't 100%.
You had better disclose this to any potential buyer.
Really, it's more of a "give away" item at this point.
Anyway...

Do this (from a powered off state):
- press and HOLD this key combo:
Command-OPTION-R
... and press the power-on button.
KEEP HOLDING THOSE KEYS DOWN.
This is INTERNET recovery.

- When the Mac asks for your wifi password, you can let go of the keys and enter it.
- The internet utilities take a while to load, be patient.

- When the internet utilities are loaded, open disk utility.
- VERY IMPORTANT: go to the "view" menu and choose "show all devices".
(you can't see the internal drive until you do this!)

- Look at "the list on the left".
- The topmost item is the drive inside.
- Click on the internal drive ONE time to select it, then click the "erase" button.
- Erase to "APFS, GUID partition format".
- Quit disk utility and open the OS installer

- The OS installer should offer you OS 11 "Big Sur".
- Start "clicking through". The Mac will reboot one or more times, and the screen will go dark for a minute or more, with no other indication of activity.
- When done, you should see the initial setup screen (choose your language).

At this point, type "command-Q" to quit the installer.
Then see if you can shut it down using the menus.
Or... just PRESS AND HOLD the power on button until the screen goes dark and the Mac shuts down.

It's now ready for the next owner.
Figured it out finally, was a pain and thanks for the reply. 100% indeed I am disclosing exactly what is working and not great with it, may find a buyer who is okay using it as I have for literally the last 3 years. Perfect for a HS student, etc, working from home

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.