Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jrossb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2021
I have a 2019 a2116 21.5 4K iMac that the Gpu has failed on. I’ve already replaced the miserably slow hard drive with an ssd drive so no more warranty. I can’t seem to find any help for repairs that won’t cost as much as half the price of the computer. I’ve never had any trouble before with Apple anything but this computer has been nothing but grief. Are there any cost effective solutions? I have yet to find a logic board for sale. Taking it to an apple service center is not ideal. I‘m so disappointed with this computer I could cry, but also stubborn enough to try and save it. Is it doomed? Better sold off for scrap?

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
I have a 2019 a2116 21.5 4K iMac that the Gpu has failed on. I’ve already replaced the miserably slow hard drive with an ssd drive so no more warranty. I can’t seem to find any help for repairs that won’t cost as much as half the price of the computer. I’ve never had any trouble before with Apple anything but this computer has been nothing but grief. Are there any cost effective solutions? I have yet to find a logic board for sale. Taking it to an apple service center is not ideal. I‘m so disappointed with this computer I could cry, but also stubborn enough to try and save it. Is it doomed? Better sold off for scrap?

Consider the cost to replace the GPU chip on your iMac.
It all depends on how the shop will charge you on their labour. The replacement work is tiresome, and need a special machine.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Such are the risks of tampering with a new Mac under warranty.
The warranty is now "gone".
Probably time to start looking for a replacement.
You might be able to sell the old one "for parts"...

Have you learned your lesson?

Jrossb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2021
Such are the risks of tampering with a new Mac under warranty.
The warranty is now "gone".
Probably time to start looking for a replacement.
You might be able to sell the old one "for parts"...

Have you learned your lesson?
Considering I live 2 hours away from any Apple service centers ....no. I don’t consider upgrading a crappy hard drive “tampering”. I’ve made personal repairs and upgrades on apple products since 2005. Like I said, this product was doomed from the start and after paying the amount of money I paid for it a$100 fix I could do seemed like a better idea. Now I have a repair that will cost half the price of the computer that is unrelated to previous issue. Since When did upgrading ones own equipment become Tampering? It would be a simple cheap fix on previous models but I guess Apple wants to ensure you cannot service your own devices. This is unacceptable.

Reactions: retta283

Jrossb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2021
Would be nice to get advice on fixing and not a lecture. Please and thanks.

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Would be nice to get advice on fixing and not a lecture. Please and thanks.

If you already have access to the special equipment to replace the GPU, then advice will be available. If not, any advice will be useless.
If you just want some information on how others have been doing it, watch the below video. It's rather lenghthy and the guy is rather talkative, but he is an expert in this field.

Reactions: Jrossb
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.