Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Derek Tidman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
Hi guys. I’m hoping you can show me how to solve this.

I have been presented with an eMac 1.2 Ghz on which someone has started to install OS X server from a copied disk (the CD is still in the drive). They obviously didn’t have the licence number because they have stopped at that point.

I have a big selection of CD & DVD’s from OS 8 on that I use for service and I am trying to reformat and install from these as the original disks are not with the machine. I cannot make this machine now boot from any of the disks.

I am told that the machine booted from the server disk and installed up to the point we are now at. I have had this problem before with other machines and reset-nvram and reset-all usually helps.

Most times booting from newer disk often helps but in this case nothing is working.

I assume that if I can just get the disk formatted I can start again. I don’t believe that the optical drive is faulty. If all fails I can take the drive out and wipe it in a PC but I’m not sure if I will introduce more problems if I do.

There must be a solution or a utility I can use.

Can anyone help?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.