Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

martonn12331

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2019
hi
I am trying to make bootable usb with OS X Lion or Mavericks . read all posts on internet and follow instructions with no luck.
I have MacBook Air not sure what year is it and trying to instal new system from scratch. it has ssd drive installed. tried to do internet recovery but installation failed do to cannot download some packages . some people said is due to internet connection. I disabled firewall etc and still no success. didn't have a chance to try internet somewhere else then decided to Make bootable usb with os. internet recovery trying to download os lion. last os on this MacBook was Mavericks . so I download both systems and now trying to burn them on usb but still getting same error during that process . it said could not validate sizes- operation not permitted.operation couldn't be completed (OSStatus error 1.).
tried everything what I found on internet but still no success.still same error.
I am doing that on other MacBook Air 2015 with Catalina installed through disc utility. any suggestions ?

barbu

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
1. start here: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT208052
Download the correct installer for the OS you want.

2. run the installer on a working machine (must be compatible with the OS you chose, ask me how I know). The installer will run for a while, and in the end, you will have the Install Mac OS {version}.app file in your Application folder.

3. Download the correct DiskMakerX version for the Mac OS you downloaded https://diskmakerx.com/download/

4. Attach the USB device you want to use for the installer medium.

5. Run DiskMakerX and point it to the installer.app file and your USB disk (Make sure you Choose the right Target!!), and run it.

6. Enjoy a frosty beverage.

7. Upon completion, insert USB into target Mac and hold Option at boot tone. Select Mac OS Installer media from chooser, press Return.

8. Boot, install, enjoy

9. (optional) let us know how it goes!

[Edit to add:]
you can also use the createinstallmedia command for a simplified experience, it can be more error-prone if you are not sure what you're doing though!

Last edited:

martonn12331

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2019
Ok. Thank you for your help. I apreciate that. I'm away right now and not next to laptop but took some photos before.
This is macbook air 5.2 13inch mid 2012 with i5 1.8ghz with 4gb memory and 256gb ssd. Serial number found on''about this mac'' is C02......RVD .not sure if it's safe to post it here so did hide few digits. Laptop could be US version asweel. Not sure it does it matter. I'm based in UK.
Looks like there was os lion originally on it.
There is no avaliability on app store any more to download it but found dmg file on web and download it. Will try with it and follow instruction you gave me to create pendrive. Do the rest when got back home in few days.
That's update for now.
Don't hesitate give more tips once i gave more details. Always used windows devices before so everything new for me with macbooks.
Thanks for help and happy new year

barbu

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
That MacBook should be able to run Catalina, so you can simply download the current installer from the App Store. Or use my link above to get installer files for older versions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.