Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eatsmeatdaily

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2021
Hardware :

- Intel MacBook Pro 13 2020 with 4 TB3 Ports
- 2 Dell S2421HN External Monitors
- Purgo Dual HDMI USB C Hub
- HDMI Cables that came with monitor

Software :
MacOS Big Sur 11.5.1

Issue :
I am noticing faint horizontal static that moves vertically upwards.
Screen Shot 2021-08-10 at 7.55.05 PM.png

They look something like the image shown above and they seem to move upwards, before disappearing like a ripple but I don't think it's noticeable in the image because it's really hard to capture that. But the fact is that it's definitely there on both the monitors and it is really annoying me. Another observation is that when it occurs, it only occurs for like 10-15 minutes and it almost disappears for the rest of the day and it never occurs on both the monitors at the same time. I have also noticed that it is particularly visible only on images with static colors such as green, red, white and grey tones. On blue, it is non existent.

I have tried :

- Isolating both the monitors
- Installing EDID overrides
- Disconnecting pass through PD charging for the MacBook from the USB C hub
- Turning off true tone
- Tried with a different cable
- Tried with a different power source
- Tried with a different USB C hub
- Tried resetting the monitors
- Tried with different USB C ports on the MacBook Pro
- Tried with different HDMI inputs on monitor
- Tried resetting NVRAM and SMC
- Tried it with an M1 MacBook Air (on a single monitor)

and the problem still persisted. But as I have noticed, the issue is not showing up on a Windows or a Linux machine. Only on MacOS. This is the sole reason I posted this on this forum so pardon me if I am in the wrong forum. Any suggestions on the matter would be highly appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.