Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trevor Harris

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2014
St. John's, Newfoundland
Hey all,

So I had an Apple Watch 3 for about 4 years. Quite frequently it would auto-pause my run while I was still running. I would click resume, and it would pause again in about 15 seconds. The only solution was to do a unpair and initialize with my phone. This month it started happening nearly every run. So I went and picked up an Apple Watch 6... and on my first run, THE SAME THING HAPPENED. It's a completely new watch, and it kept auto-pausing ever 15 seconds. Trust me, I've toggled the auto-pause button plenty of times on the watch and on my phone. Is anyone else having this problem? How is it possible that another watch still has this trouble? I'm about to give up on apple watch for this reason, unless anyone else has any suggestions.

Thanks!
Trevor

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
So I haven't really have that experience.

Are you wearing your watch under a sleeve? Could the sleeve be pausing your activities? I have found that synthetic materials when brushed over the screen of the watch can act like a finger swipe.

If this is actually real auto-pausing, how about just turning off the auto-pause feature when the Watch "detects" that you have stopped moving?

I've used a Series 4 for years and now have the Ultra. Both don't exhibit the issue you're talking about.

Reactions: BlackBun

BlackBun

Suspended
Oct 20, 2020
Wokingham U.K.
So I haven't really have that experience.

Are you wearing your watch under a sleeve? Could the sleeve be pausing your activities? I have found that synthetic materials when brushed over the screen of the watch can act like a finger swipe.

If this is actually real auto-pausing, how about just turning off the auto-pause feature when the Watch "detects" that you have stopped moving?

I've used a Series 4 for years and now have the Ultra. Both don't exhibit the issue you're talking about.
I could relate to this. I now lock the screen when running if I’m wearing long sleeves. The decision was made one day when I went for a run on finishing and checking the watch, it was no longer recording a run but yoga!

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012
Similar to the others, I've only had this happen when wearing long sleeves & then only infrequently, but locking the screen stopped it from ever happening again.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
Yep, long sweaty sleeve on a hot day will do it for me. When it’s super hot I take my shirt off but then have to ensure I’m carrying it wrapped around the hand that does not have the watch too.

Basically water lock or ensure nothing touches the screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.