Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bizzwriter

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
Left coast...
Had something weird happen to me yesterday.

My main gmail address got bombed with spam -- hundreds of signups for all sorts of websites around the world, all executed within a 3 or 4 hour window of time. As I sifted through them -- and sent the messages to spam -- I noticed an Apple Store order for an iPad that I didn't order.

Someone ordered the iPad using my email address, but coupled with my wife's name and phone number.

That was followed maybe 15 minutes later with a change of delivery address notice, to an address in Compton, CA (Los Angeles area).

I made a beeline to my Apple Store account -- nothing there except my order for a new iPhone 15 Pro. Then checked my wife's Apple Store account -- same thing.

I called Apple and told them what happened, offering the order number. They wouldn't take action unless I gave them my Apple ID, which I didn't want to do because I didn't want them to "accidentally" cancel my iPhone order.

I was bummed that they wouldn't let me report the fraudulent order without my Apple ID.

Anyone else had a similar experience?

bizzwriter

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
Left coast...
I suspect that the fake orders had a phone number or a link. Either would have send you to a scammer or some other crook.
Yeah -- not in this case. It was a real order confirmation from Apple, using my email address and my wife's name and phone number. All the links in the confirmation were legit Apple links. The delivery address was in the LA area -- I'm in the San Diego area.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
I was bummed that they wouldn't let me report the fraudulent order without my Apple ID.

Requiring the Apple ID associated with the order is a normal security measure. Otherwise anyone with just an order number could wreck havoc.

floral

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
Are you sure it wasn't just a (while very efficiently) faked Apple Store receipt?

bizzwriter

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
Left coast...
Requiring the Apple ID associated with the order is a normal security measure. Otherwise anyone with just an order number could wreck havoc.
Yeah -- makes sense, though since I didn't order the iPad, my Apple ID would have had nothing to do with the order number anyway. I'm curious how the iPad was paid for -- stolen credit card, Apple gift cards, etc.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
my Apple ID would have had nothing to do with the order number anyway.

The fact that another Apple ID was linked to the order presents another issue. I had a fraudulent federal tax return filed under my name. I tried to find out who did it but the IRS wouldn't tell me because of privacy concerns even though it was my tax return!

webbga

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2014
Cincinnati, Ohio
I have received numerous "fake" Apple order notifications. Most include a link asking you to notify if this is not your order. I ignored the mall and nothign ever got charged to my card.

bizzwriter

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
Left coast...
The fact that another Apple ID was linked to the order presents another issue. I had a fraudulent federal tax return filed under my name. I tried to find out who did it but the IRS wouldn't tell me because of privacy concerns even though it was my tax return!
Wow!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.