Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
I was fiddling around last week and I got really bored. I forged this 'PowerPad' Macintosh-like tablet out of a variety of pictures using Photoshop. Some of an iBook here...some Screenshots there. I was going to attempt to pull this off as something real but, I don't think I'm evil enough to do that. The reason the Dock was removed because I was going to think of some way to cycle-through applications but then failed, maybe I'll put it back in later...(I'm lazy!)

Now it didn't come out too bad eh? And yeah the stylus looks fat but I was thinking maybe I should have made it be flat, like the first Newton ones haha. :D

Well whatever it looks like, tell me what you guys think? :D

PowerPad.jpg

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Looks really good. I'd guess it'd be made out of aluminium if it was ever produced to fit in with the other Pro products.

I'm always very jealous of people who can make pictures like this. I don't have a creative bone in my body. :(

_pb_boi

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2004
mad jew said:
Looks really good. I'd guess it'd be made out of aluminium if it was ever produced to fit in with the other Pro products.

I'm always very jealous of people who can make pictures like this. I don't have a creative bone in my body. :(

Likewise. I sorta feel guilty for not using my ACD for Photoshop :rolleyes:

Everyone else seems to!

andy.

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
Davito said:
Great job! I am always wondering how you could pack a tablet into a bag without demaging the screen :confused:

I think Toshiba had a good idea, poorly implemented, but a good idea with their tablet. It was basically a laptop with full keyboard and the screen swiveled 180 and laid flat (face up) over the keys of the keyboard and was in 'tablet mode' for writing and note taking.

I have used one (friend's and in store) and its not bad, but its a thick mug and heavy. If they had better implementation I think its a good idea to work with (for power and protection, since you have a dedicated place for parts, and a screen, two seperate things).

Nice mockup, would love to see it in 'Power Silver' to match the line.

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
dejo said:
Not if Apple announces broadcast power at the same time. ;)

I have a colleague at work who thinks this is not only quite possible but also very soon. He said he was playing around with 'sending' power wirelessly and although he doesn't have it completely figured out, he feels he is really close. Gotta love EEs :p

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Thanks for all of the replies! :D

Maybe I'll edit this more a bit later or make it silver...or maybe a different view. :)

Thanks again.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
yellow said:
Nifty! You should add a power button, and some screen dim/brighten buttons.

I was thinking that the power button would be on the left side...maybe like the old Newton's power button was for those who remember.

The Brightness/Contrast is in the OS on the menu bar, and there is a place for a few ports at the top, maybe USB, Power Cord, 56k, and Ethernet.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
LimeiBook86 said:
The Brightness/Contrast is in the OS on the menu bar, and there is a place for a few ports at the top, maybe USB, Power Cord, 56k, and Ethernet.

I would think that any LCD product needs to have the brightness controls as a static button in case something happens. You don't want the screen to dim all the way and then have to figure out something to do in a completely dark OS.

iHateWindows

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2005
LimeiBook86 said:
I was fiddling around last week and I got really bored. I forged this 'PowerPad' Macintosh-like tablet out of a variety of pictures using Photoshop. Some of an iBook here...some Screenshots there. I was going to attempt to pull this off as something real but, I don't think I'm evil enough to do that. The reason the Dock was removed because I was going to think of some way to cycle-through applications but then failed, maybe I'll put it back in later...(I'm lazy!)

Now it didn't come out too bad eh? And yeah the stylus looks fat but I was thinking maybe I should have made it be flat, like the first Newton ones haha. :D

Well whatever it looks like, tell me what you guys think? :D

PowerPad.jpg

Wow... just change the power light to white and it will looks exactly like an Apple product. Actually, if Apple makes one of these, the dock probably would be gone because its pretty hard to navigate through it with a pen.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
iHateWindows said:
Actually, if Apple makes one of these, the dock probably would be gone because its pretty hard to navigate through it with a pen.

Really? Why would this be any harder than with a mouse?

iHateWindows

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2005
dejo said:
Really? Why would this be any harder than with a mouse?

Well, you would have to put the pen on the screen, just like a click with a mouse. But to be able to move through the dock would be hard. because the mouse isn't clicking, it is just over it.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
iHateWindows said:
Well, you would have to put the pen on the screen, just like a click with a mouse. But to be able to move through the dock would be hard. because the mouse isn't clicking, it is just over it.

It's the same for the menu bar, isn't it?

Bloo Ice

macrumors regular
May 4, 2005
Kansas
iHateWindows said:
Actually, if Apple makes one of these, the dock probably would be gone because its pretty hard to navigate through it with a pen.

I have a first gen tablet pc....the Compaq TC1000. I was confused by the whole pen setup as well, especially because PCs use right click a lot. Anyway, Compaq had a little radio built into the pen, and it would send out a signal, and the reciever in the screen would pick it up, and the cursor would move along w/ the pen, even if you werent clicking it. Then you'd push down on the glass they covered the LCD with [to protect it, Davito], and a little button on the end of the pen is pushed, and is sent as a click. To right click, there is a little button you hold down while you push down on the pen, Mad Jew. I've heard they ditched this concept in their 2nd gen, TC1100, but I'm quite fond of it. Just my 2 cents

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
iHateWindows said:

The dock in non-hidden, magnification-off mode would be pretty much fine, but I could see that using hiding would make it more awkward, and mag would make it really awkward. :(

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
Apple would most likely use like a "TabletWheel," where there is a button you click and the wheel spinns, each time all you see is 3 applications, only 18 applications can go on it max, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.