Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jtara

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 23, 2009
I've had two fall detection false alarms since I received my Series 6. This never occurred with my Series 4. (I had one valid alarm with the 4).

Could be something with Series 6, could be something with WatchOS 7...

Both times, I was shaking sand out of a beach towel. Both times, it triggered on the second "snap" of the towel.

I noticed the haptics alert, and was able to cancel before it called 911.

Doubt it would make a difference, but the Series 6 has cellular (and activated) the 4 was WiFi only. But I would never have been wearing the Series 4 without my iPhone in my pocket or very nearby.

Anybody else experience this?

jtara

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 23, 2009
Can I enlist some experimenters?

Basically, shake it like a Polaroid Picture.

Or, as happened to me, snap a towel as if it shake it out.

Could not reproduce just now. I wonder if it learns from your "I did not fall" response.

Of course it does... ???

Perhaps matters: I wear my watch on my primary hand. I know, weird and causes all sort of inconveniences and wear and tear on the watch... I'm left-handed and can't imagine wearing a watch on my right hand. I'm thinking that when I perform this motion, the left hand is probably exerting more force/momentum than the right.

antbob

macrumors member
May 12, 2020
Its unlikely to react to any shaking, it needs quick deceleration to trigger. Your towel snap method is more likely to succeed you just need to hit certain thresholds and I have no idea what they are (free fall terminal velocity to a floor gotta do it? :)). I dont think it learns much either bc it seem to prefer to give false positives for safety/legal reasons and it also cannot really tell the difference between what your arm is doing and what your body is doing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.