Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hiddenmarkov

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2014
Japan
Fallout 4 patch that include PS4 Pro support should be available now.

Looking forward to getting home finishing automatron and starting Nuka World FINALLY!

Hopefully Digital Foundry will have a video up soon to point out all the enhancements since devs are fairly vague.

Console users who are mod happy beware....Sony now has a 100 mod limit and xbox 150. A pure wtf moment there. We asked for more space...and got a mod amount nerf instead.

Why Sony is getting the shafted, again, no clue. Most on the bethesda forums are wondering why either limit put in place at this point.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Console users who are mod happy beware....Sony now has a 100 mod limit and xbox 150. A pure wtf moment there. We asked for more space...and got a mod amount nerf instead.

Why Sony is getting the shafted, again, no clue. Most on the bethesda forums are wondering why either limit put in place at this point.

And the patch at least for me is hardly noticeable. 1440p from 1080p is nice but tough to see. And as soon as I loaded a game I was in dense fog with the sun shining which looked good but there were very odd artifacts toward the edges if I looked at the sun and walked into a shadow. Looked like crap actually, I'll take a screenshot if/when I see it again.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Putting down Skyrim and picking up Fallout 4, its funny how muscle memory messes you up.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Putting down Skyrim and picking up Fallout 4, its funny how muscle memory messes you up.

It's terrible. I'll bring up the pip boy four thousand times an hour thinking I'm exiting out of the looting window.

At first I didn't like the way Fallout 4 did looting but now I think I prefer it. Make scavenging a bit quicker (assuming you aren't a dummy like me and constantly bringing up the pipboy).

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
At first I didn't like the way Fallout 4 did looting but now I think I prefer it. Make scavenging a bit quicker (assuming you aren't a dummy like me and constantly bringing up the pipboy).
You're not the only one, I've been doing the same thing

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Re-visiting Fallout 4 myself now that the Pro patch is out. Looks so much crisper now. Are you guys playing with mods and if so which do you recommend ?

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Re-visiting Fallout 4 myself now that the Pro patch is out. Looks so much crisper now. Are you guys playing with mods and if so which do you recommend ?

Not yet, once I get every trophy I'm going to try a few.

Reactions: MRU

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Coming back to the game after putting it down for a few months, I'm amazed at its dept. Even though I spent many hours before on the game I still stumble upon side quests that I never done before

Skyrim is the same in terms of depth, detail and immersion. While Skyrim seems larger (I don't know if it is not), I really do enjoy Fallout 4 more.

Reactions: MRU

hiddenmarkov

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2014
Japan
Coming back to the game after putting it down for a few months, I'm amazed at its dept. Even though I spent many hours before on the game I still stumble upon side quests that I never done before

Skyrim is the same in terms of depth, detail and immersion. While Skyrim seems larger (I don't know if it is not), I really do enjoy Fallout 4 more.

want to make things interesting try a couple things.

try a MM/preston limited if not en there run. You hear small conversation and NPC comment changes when you leave preston to rot in the museum. Ergo no MM form up. You can even have fun finding script trigger bugs.

Like me, did not do preston beyond taking the PA mission, clearing the town and when the message said go see preston....I walked away.

Ran the full nukaworld tour starting at 30 to warlord perk 3 (I didn't stop at 3 settlements, went for the 8 at least iirc). So bored one day I wanted to see if I'd get the Preston panties in a bunch speech since I went full bore overboss.

Oddly enough...I did not get this. Was happy I cleared concord (he waited months for me to come back and turn that mission in I guess), even offered me to go to sanctuary as a mission. Did not follow up to see when/If I'd get that speech in sanctuary. I find MM/preston less plays to be the best way to play the game really. that 2 minutes with preston already had me hating life.

Fun fact: you don't need the MM, or anyone, for settlements. You can run settlements as plain ole you, no allegiances. tip for those who like to vegetable starch farm and role play lone wanderer no gods no masters New vegas style.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
try a MM/preston limited
Wow that's not something I would have done.

I'm playing through making choices that I might not normally do and its been a different game experience. I'm more willing to upgrade my weapons myself instead of trying to get some legendary items. I've upgraded my armor as well.

I've played a lot of side quests since restarting this, and I'm at a level 25, and just starting he main quest at diamond city - getting to Nick Valentine was increadibly easy because of that - surprisingly so :O I may have a saved game prior to that point and I may re-do that quest at a higher difficulty level.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Playing through and enjoying the game but as I finished up the far Harbor DLC, I opted for the ending where there is peace between the factions. I know we talked about the different ending here in this before but I have to say that ending seems like the most unsatisfying of all of them. Very underwhelming if you ask me. I have a save point just before I talk to Dimas and I think I may go back and change it over to nuking the COA and maybe sending the BOS into Arcadia to wipe out the Synths :eek:

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
Playing through and enjoying the game but as I finished up the far Harbor DLC, I opted for the ending where there is peace between the factions. I know we talked about the different ending here in this before but I have to say that ending seems like the most unsatisfying of all of them. Very underwhelming if you ask me. I have a save point just before I talk to Dimas and I think I may go back and change it over to nuking the COA and maybe sending the BOS into Arcadia to wipe out the Synths :eek:
Have you enjoyed Far Harbor? I personally didn't enjoy it very much. The base game was so good already that Far Harbor felt like a step below it. Just my two cents.

I chose the.... "explosive" ending to Far Harbor myself. :D (I assume we're not spoiling anything by discussing the endings?) Regarding Acadia, I personally wanted to save it, however I couldn't for... reasons. YMMV.

Tough decisions!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Have you enjoyed Far Harbor? I personally didn't enjoy it very much. The base game was so good already that Far Harbor felt like a step below it. Just my two cents.
I did not enjoy as much as I was hoping too. NukaWorld was a better DLC imo.

Far Harbor certainly has a fair amount of side quests and stuff to investigate but overall, I was a bit underwhelmed by it.

hiddenmarkov

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2014
Japan

I chose the.... "explosive" ending to Far Harbor myself. :D (I assume we're not spoiling anything by discussing the endings?) Regarding Acadia, I personally wanted to save it, however I couldn't for... reasons. YMMV.

Tough decisions!

That is the best ending really. It gives the children of atom what they really wanted. And the others make out good from that, win win. Want division...well here you go.

I did not like Far Harbor. Not even going to lie after 1 time unmodded run through follow up runs I use a mod to skip the whole hacker bit. With all the cyberpunk/cyberspace/shadowrun angles out there to draw inspiration from I just don't see why they went the minecraft route they went down.

As a concept its cool they tried for more. The implementation was just crap really. But I am biased....shadowrun and other cyber genre's were among the many I rolled my dice for when I did pen and paper in my youth many moons ago. This stuff nowhere near what I had in my mind when I rolled a decker. I also ponied up the cash for harebrained schemes shadowrun releases in the past few years and liked them. If they wanted cyberspace inspiration...there was just way better stuff to draw it from really.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I did not enjoy as much as I was hoping too. NukaWorld was a better DLC imo.

Far Harbor certainly has a fair amount of side quests and stuff to investigate but overall, I was a bit underwhelmed by it.

I'm the opposite. I loved Far Harbor and was anxiously waiting for the PS4 Pro update to play Nuka World.

Now I'm a decent way through Nuka World and they want me to do some settlement stuff. However after achieving the trophy for getting a settlement to 100% happiness I want nothing to do with settlements anymore. I even went through an murdered everyone and reloaded a save (thats healthy right? rriiiiggghhhttt?). I doubt I'll even be able to finish it.

I was hoping to get 100% of the trophies with the DLC but I'm going to have to hold off I've just gotten so bored with it.

Curious to see what Fallout VR is all about though. Depending on reviews I might pick up the PS VR system.

hiddenmarkov

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2014
Japan
I'm the opposite. I loved Far Harbor and was anxiously waiting for the PS4 Pro update to play Nuka World.

Now I'm a decent way through Nuka World and they want me to do some settlement stuff. However after achieving the trophy for getting a settlement to 100% happiness I want nothing to do with settlements anymore. I even went through an murdered everyone and reloaded a save (thats healthy right? rriiiiggghhhttt?). I doubt I'll even be able to finish it.

I was hoping to get 100% of the trophies with the DLC but I'm going to have to hold off I've just gotten so bored with it.

Curious to see what Fallout VR is all about though. Depending on reviews I might pick up the PS VR system.

Raider settlements are easy.

Put food in the workbench to start.
Put up an amplifier for raider radio.
Put up chem station.
Beds, water pumps and defence like before.

IIRC you get 100% fast and easy like this.

Only other change really is something called a feeder farm. Raiders don't farm. You will go "talk" to another nearby settlement and have them understand they are now making food for your raider settlement nearby.

If charisma low not a problem. Operators give you a grenade to help the conversations out.

If you go for hostile takeover...MM may respond. Do what you want in this case...I always talked. Excpet for one settlement I hated. Them I purged. With the junk gun. YOu know how slow that kills? But in this case a fitting and satisfying way to deal with them.

Preston will hate you no matter what. I don't have this problem anymore. I leave his ass and the rest of the idiot crew in the museum. I get the bobblehead and mag, farm the fight outside for gear/xp...and never return to turn in the mission. This keeps them in the Museum forever...where they belong lol.

Since achievements will assume no mod use desired. YOu get very nice perks with the gangs when you do the settlements to force the power play mission. Not trying to spoil if not known but at 8 land gives (5 parks, 3 settlements) someone will not like how much land they get. And will rebel. the 2 left give you perks as a reward after you handle this uprising.

If more sniper like...operators perk is kick ass..make sure you have been nice to them land wise. If more melee, the pack's perk is nice. Disciples are meh perk wise but...I usually keep them around as I find Misha entertaining.

Make sure power play ends at night....thank me later for the nice show this gives lol.

Now if you want to run modded one or 2 mods iirc now give the quest completion, perks as well iirc with the kill all the gang options taken or may bypass the settlement part in some way.

[doublepost=1490855394][/doublepost]oh yeah for the pc/xbox one fo4 burnouts or not so but running out of ideas....try the more recent chinese stealth suit mod. Makes for fun times. Its still alpha according to the devs but its been rock solid for me (on xbone). Its a blast really.

want a weapon that goes well with it...chinese assualt rifle. Fun gun really and if like me you like to rp themes a nice match to the suit.

With Melee weapons lacking...I went with a katana mod. Mix in some japanese flavor to the chinese setup I guess. The chinese officer sword not cutting it (pun intended) looks wise for me.

Last edited:

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
Is this available on steam or naahh? how much is this again?
Yes it is.

For the price you should just check Steam yourself. They are always running deals. You can probably pick up the full game and expansions for cheap.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I leave his ass and the rest of the idiot crew in the museum.
I was tempted to do that the last go around I had with this game. I finally ventured back to concord and helped him. I'm toying with the idea of siding with the raiders, Preston hates me now as it stands, so it doesn't matter if I kill off the raiders, he still mouths off at me :)

Seems to go against my grain to side with the raiders so while I finished the quests from Nuka-world (other then kill off the raiders), I'm not sure which way to go. That sniper rifle is sweet though

hiddenmarkov

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2014
Japan
I was tempted to do that the last go around I had with this game. I finally ventured back to concord and helped him. I'm toying with the idea of siding with the raiders, Preston hates me now as it stands, so it doesn't matter if I kill off the raiders, he still mouths off at me :)

Seems to go against my grain to side with the raiders so while I finished the quests from Nuka-world (other then kill off the raiders), I'm not sure which way to go. That sniper rifle is sweet though

Here is a thought. Without the raider protection...the traders are doomed anyway. They at this point need the raiders in some way.

As scripted...no major faction (BOS, MM) cares about NW. The gunners know of the place. There is actually what I call a small forward observation post manned by them (its between the town and kiddie land park). Raiders dead, the traders have no protection...the gunners will steam roll them when more come. As they seemed to have found a way to nw area not using the monorail.

But I am also an institute-phile so I prefer the raider ending as its the tidiest of all endings. Institute wants the surface world to fall apart to then take over. I help to make that happen being overboss. IMO, the "bad" ending to the game is the only one that makes sense of the end game movie.

War, war never changes. With me as overboss and director...those words ring very true.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
IMO, the "bad" ending to the game is the only one that makes sense of the end game movie.
Its funny, I prefer the railroad ending, as that seems to me, that makes the most sense. Plus the missions after blowing up the institute are the richest compared to BOS or Minutemen endings.

I'm playing through and keeping the raiders around, but I may restart FO4 and consider not even engaging with Preston and see how it plays through.

hiddenmarkov

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2014
Japan
Its funny, I prefer the railroad ending, as that seems to me, that makes the most sense. Plus the missions after blowing up the institute are the richest compared to BOS or Minutemen endings.

I'm playing through and keeping the raiders around, but I may restart FO4 and consider not even engaging with Preston and see how it plays through.

Just won't have the MM is all. Settlements you can claim as independent. What I usually do for adhesive farming. You won't have castle artillery is all. I was not partial to it anyway so no loss for me really.

Only other difference I have seen is the DC guards will keep on saying gangs are carving up concord like a turkey. Them and I think piper are the only ones who will make mention of no MM in the game.

And if not minding mods, and on xbone or PC some cool flag mods out there. I have made settlements with the NCR flag and Chinese flag raised proudly over my camps. Former for an NCR mod inspired run, latter for a chinese stealth suit (mod version) inspired run.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.