Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thecautioners

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 5, 2022
I have always been an infrequent console gamer but I no longer have my PS3 and I would like to play some New Vegas on my new M2 Air 24/1 10c. I've done some research and I have a very basic question. I watched a youtube video that went through the process of installing the game but it was on an intel mac. Instructions were to buy the game from GOG and use Porting Kit to install the game. Will this work on an M2 mac? I was under the impression I would need Parallels to run the game. If I am wrong about this, please explain to me like I'm 5 how to get this game running on my M2 Air. Thanks!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
please explain to me like I'm 5 how to get this game running on my M2 Air. Thanks!
Your only hope AFAIK, is to ether run the game in windows, i.e., install ARM windows and Parallels or try installing crossover and run it from there.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I have always been an infrequent console gamer but I no longer have my PS3 and I would like to play some New Vegas on my new M2 Air 24/1 10c. I've done some research and I have a very basic question. I watched a youtube video that went through the process of installing the game but it was on an intel mac. Instructions were to buy the game from GOG and use Porting Kit to install the game. Will this work on an M2 mac? I was under the impression I would need Parallels to run the game. If I am wrong about this, please explain to me like I'm 5 how to get this game running on my M2 Air. Thanks!
You’ll need Parallels or similar, and if you can get it to run at all, performance will be extremely poor.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022

I just checked Apple Gaming Wiki and it says while Porting Kit is playable, there are some kinks that exist.

https://www.applegamingwiki.com/wiki/Fallout:_New_Vegas

So you can do it, but running the game through Parallels is still preferred as it's miles easier to setup there and runs better. Plus Porting Kit in general is still a WIP for Apple Silicon since Wine really does not like talking on ARM

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
its a shame that sony's PS Plus Premium streaming on PC isnt Mac compatible (yet) as if/when it does then you would be able to sign up to that and play FNV plus lots of other games.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I have always been an infrequent console gamer but I no longer have my PS3 and I would like to play some New Vegas
For what it's worth, I am also an infrequent gamer and don't have a tv gaming console anymore. The Steam Deck has been amazing for the little gaming I do. I've been playing New Vegas on it recently, and it's awesome.

So I don't try to fit a round peg into a square hole with the M2 Air. Get a Steam Deck :)

Reactions: madeirabhoy

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
its a shame that sony's PS Plus Premium streaming on PC isnt Mac compatible (yet) as if/when it does then you would be able to sign up to that and play FNV plus lots of other games.

I wouldn't use it even if it was compatible. PS Plus Premium is crap and not worth it in any regard. Trying to stream Bloodborne through it back when it was PS Now was an absolute nightmare.

Just buy FNV and run it natively, the game is dirt cheap nowadays. And if you only have a Mac, get a Steam Deck and run it through that.

thecautioners

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 5, 2022
Thanks everyone! After I get Parallels do I get the game on Steam or somewhere else? I will take advantage of the Parallels trial to see if it works at all 😅

thecautioners

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 5, 2022
Running into an issue connecting a ps5 controller. It’s registering in the game as an Xbox controller, but regardless, it’s registering as connected. Parallels settings are to allow sharing of Bluetooth devices between mac and windows. There’s just no response once I use the mouse to click on the game window, the cursor disappears and I can only control anything with the keyboard. The controller is on and connected.

75EB2EF7-2B6C-4405-B0CE-FDA9501ADA78.jpeg 346297BD-D492-4A4B-9243-8705EE09F83D.jpeg 14BED693-BD79-42CE-9614-6F40211E9EBC.jpeg

orionquest

Suspended
Mar 16, 2022
The Great White North
Very curious about this, not that I would want to try this as I have a dedicated gaming PC, just seems like a lot of hoops to game on Mac. But since it's an older title maybe the layers of emulation won't be much of an issue.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
How do I check this? I am *very* new to this, my apologies! I was going to try to get a solid session in with it this evening.

i used to use an app but apparently now you can just press Windows+G so guess that would be command + G.

interested to hear how it goes as if i replace my 2017 imac with a new macbook or mac mini then the only thing i would miss would be being able to play Fallout NV and Fallout 4 with the many new content mods.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
i used to use an app but apparently now you can just press Windows+G so guess that would be command + G.

interested to hear how it goes as if i replace my 2017 imac with a new macbook or mac mini then the only thing i would miss would be being able to play Fallout NV and Fallout 4 with the many new content mods.
That command is for the Xbox (Windows) Gamebar which doesn't exist in macOS. AFAICT unless you are using Steam or running a Metal2/3 game (and can use the Metal Performance HUD) there is no way to see framerate on macOS.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
That command is for the Xbox (Windows) Gamebar which doesn't exist in macOS. AFAICT unless you are using Steam or running a Metal2/3 game (and can use the Metal Performance HUD) there is no way to see framerate on macOS.

he's playing the game in parallels though

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Speaking of Parallels “new” license with Microsoft - does this mean it’s “game over” for Crossover?

Is there any other situation that you could think of where buying a Crossover license would be feasible?

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Speaking of Parallels “new” license with Microsoft - does this mean it’s “game over” for Crossover?

Is there any other situation that you could think of where buying a Crossover license would be feasible?
For games if Crossover can get DX12 working this year I think they will still have a place. I am not sure MS is going to assist Parallels with getting DX12 working, that seems like a Parallels/Apple issue, unless they are using Crossover/Wine behind the scenes.

Reactions: Irishman

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006

Homy

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden

I just checked Apple Gaming Wiki and it says while Porting Kit is playable, there are some kinks that exist.

https://www.applegamingwiki.com/wiki/Fallout:_New_Vegas

So you can do it, but running the game through Parallels is still preferred as it's miles easier to setup there and runs better. Plus Porting Kit in general is still a WIP for Apple Silicon since Wine really does not like talking on ARM

The info on Applegamingwiki is not updated. Fallout NV seem to work well now in Crossover 22. Download the demo and try it. It's cheaper than Parallels and you can activate a hud similar to Apple's Metal hud to see the framerate.

Homy

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden

No, that license doesn't suddenly make games work better in Parallels. Some games work better in Crossover and I think Codeweavers are closer to solve the DX12 issue than Parallels since they already have solved it on SteamOS. I think this year with Crossover 23 it will be solved.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
The info on Applegamingwiki is not updated. Fallout NV seem to work well now in Crossover 22. Download the demo and try it. It's cheaper than Parallels and you can activate a hud similar to Apple's Metal hud to see the framerate.

Sounds like you should create an account and update it then. After all it is a wiki.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.