Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

minar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2011
Turbo boost doesn't seem to work with i7-2620M under OS X and Windows(bootcamp)

screenshot20110416at159.png

(system information from TemperatureMonitor app)

screenshot20110416at211.png

SOLVED

I just installed intel drivers to monitor temperature and voila:

screenshot20110416at612.png

:D:D:D

(under windows still not working)

Last edited:

mulo

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2010
Behind you
yes it does for craps sake, this has been beaten to death a gazillion times which you would have found out if you had bothered to google for a few mins.
about windows your right, windows sux, it doesn't work under windows.

now had you used prober utilities to calculate the clock frequency in OS X you would have come to a different conclusion.

so take a look at MSRtool and try again
processor preffpane has not been updated, and hence does not work on any machines previous to 2005, aka the latest it works on are G5s

read: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4205/the-macbook-pro-review-13-and-15-inch-2011-brings-sandy-bridge
MSRtool http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=135974

minar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2011
MSR Tools not working!

There's No other way to check if turbo boost working. I believe the intel turbo boost monitor and temperatureMonitor.app!! TURBO BOOST DOSENT WORK!

pedrofan

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
MSR Tools not working!

There's No other way to check if turbo boost working. I believe the intel turbo boost monitor and temperatureMonitor.app!! TURBO BOOST DOSENT WORK!

This is a thermal paste application probem.

They firstly activated turbo boost in first 2011 firmware.

They realized that they had a poor thermal paste quality controls that were causing a lot of users to get laptops with heating problems.

Instead of fixing it and replacing notebooks with heating problems, they shut up like crap and disabled turbo boost with a firmware "update?" (they may even had undercloked the gpu, but who knows...)

So no more heating problem.

Wow this is more magical than the magic mouse!!

DustinT

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2011
Turboboost works fine under OS X. There's no false advertising. Quit complaining, its fine...
:):):):)

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar

They realized that they had a poor thermal paste quality controls that were causing a lot of users to get laptops with heating problems.

Instead of fixing it and replacing notebooks with heating problems, they shut up like crap and disabled turbo boost with a firmware "update?" (they may even had undercloked the gpu, but who knows...)

Wow...just wow....I hope no one believes what you just wrote.

ViciousShadow21

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009
To your left or right
I have an observation for the OP,

If you TRUELY believe that turbo boost does not work then this is probably not the place to claim fraud. I would recommend emailing Apple about your problems. Because here, you are just going to make people upset and we're going to have a back and forth argument of one side saying, "you're wrong", and the other side saying, "no you're wrong."

In my opinion, i HIGHLY doubt apple would say that something like turbo boost works when it doesn't.

Just saying…

DustinT

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2011
Why does he have to waste his time proving anything to you.
This has already been covered a million times, move on.
Guys, I hate to tell you but this horse has been beaten a thousand times. There's no Turbo-Boost issue on the 2011 MacBook Pros... Anandtech is one of the most reputable sites and they confirm it works. The link is above. Also, MSR Tools will show you that Turbo Boost works. If you can't make it work that is a big clue as to why you don't believe everyone else.

Slow down... Take your time...

Jakeblu

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2008
UK
Guys, I hate to tell you but this horse has been beaten a thousand times. There's no Turbo-Boost issue on the 2011 MacBook Pros... Anandtech is one of the most reputable sites and they confirm it works. The link is above. Also, MSR Tools will show you that Turbo Boost works. If you can't make it work that is a big clue as to why you don't believe everyone else.

Slow down... Take your time...

Great post but why do you waste your time fella, just leave the thread to all the numptys to come on here whinging/crying omg turbo-boost doesnt work or the conspiracy theorists about apples updates disabling it. Honestly they all deserve each other and I'm sure you have much better things to do with your time.

thermodynamic

Suspended
May 3, 2009
USA
@ pedrofan as well:
1275389857_naked-gun-facepalm.gif

If, for no other reason, lowering the clock would have a negligible effect.

http://www.hardmac.com/news/2011/03/22/is-the-2011-macbook-pro-overheating

We can wonder what Apple will do to solve the problem. It is unlikely that they decide to lower the frequency of the Radeon chip. It would have little consequences on the global TDP of the two chips. The solution might be more simple as we believe that starting the fans earlier when the Radeon starts working would prevent it from overheating, and it can be done easily through an SMC update.

mark28

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2010

minar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2011
I just installed intel drivers to monitor temperature and voila:

screenshot20110416at612.png

:D:D:D

(under windows still not working)

DustinT

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2011
Great post but why do you waste your time fella, just leave the thread to all the numptys to come on here whinging/crying omg turbo-boost doesnt work or the conspiracy theorists about apples updates disabling it. Honestly they all deserve each other and I'm sure you have much better things to do with your time.
Thanks Jake...

This is starting to make me wish there was a troll guarding the registration page for this forum with an IQ test.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
It's threads like this (where people don't search first) that cause other threads to spawn. Someone will now read the first 2-3 posts of this thread, think there is an issue because they didn't read the whole d@#$ thread, and start another thread.

Thanks for propagating a lie again.

DarwinOSX

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2009
Pedrofan this is a nonsensical fantasy you somehow made up in your head.

Jakeblu

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2008
UK
Good call.
Trouble is, around "New Macbook" time at least, we`d be left with about 30 members ;)

You know with the amount of posts regarding overheating macbooks or under performing gpu's or noisy fans i sometimes think it wouldnt be such a bad thing :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.