Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Modulor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2016
Hi Guys,

I'm writing this post after I putted my iPhone 5S in warranty at my local dealer, because my HOME button was mal functioning, the iPhone showed some strange behavior -since day 1-, and my lens was full with dust (inside). The local dealer shipped the iPhone to Apple, but Apple refused to repair it. Not because there was indicator damaged, or a seal missing, ... just because there was a hardware part missing.
There are only two reasons that I could think on that could have caused this kind of 'damage':

1. A production error: some tired, poorly payed Chinese factory worker who by mistake forgot to put in a little piece. A common issue in all mass production chains. If Apple was resistant to this they must have found the holy grail in production technics.
  2. The bloke at the local dealer (who is not Apple, but an authorized reseller) opened the iPhone while he was away with it for around 10 minutes in the hope to avoid a warranty case... That same bloke must have damaged it while trying to fix the HOME button.

Now, I have to work in the meantime with a bad working (replacement) iPhone 5C on which the authorized reseller did some illegal work: home button from an iPhone 4, bad screen, ... All actions that strengthen hypothesis 2. They also declared my iPhone was in perfect condition when I left him with them and was still correctly under european Warranty (2 years).

Can anyone help me with some good tips, links to documents who deal about production issues on the iPhone, ... ? Is it the shop or Apple, ...?

***Sorry for my bad English.

Thanks,

An Apple Lover
[doublepost=1463567341][/doublepost]

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
A common issue in all mass production chains.
I don't beleive this is true, Apple products that roll off the assembly do not have an inherent quality issue just because they're made in China. I understand you're dealing with a frustrating issue, but that doesn't mean most people are facing similar issues.

(who is not Apple, but an authorized reseller)
I recommend going to an apple authorized dealer as that's really the only recommended process.

Reactions: ABC5S

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I don't think the OP is implying there is an inherent quality issue because they're made in China. I think he just used some colorful language to say "maybe a screw was missed during assembly".

It's all certainly possible, but the reality is you're probably SOL. You could try calling Apple and dealing with them that way. Be polite and hopefully they work with you.

Modulor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2016
How long has your phone had this 'strange behaviour"?
The strange behaviour like not recognizing charging devices (Original Apple parts) started a few months ago. First I thought it would go over with a new software release, then I bought new chargers, but I kept becoming worser.
[doublepost=1463578162][/doublepost]
I don't beleive this is true, Apple products that roll off the assembly do not have an inherent quality issue just because they're made in China. I understand you're dealing with a frustrating issue, but that doesn't mean most people are facing similar issues.

I used indeed some colorful language that could be misunderstood. I apology for that. What i ment to say is that no production chain is perfect. Not connected to any country, but more connected to work, working pressure, a bad day, or some other reasons. Even production chains from Mercedes Benz in Germany make production faults. But I find it personally very hypocrite from a brand that I use already 25 years to claim in their communication that they do not make production faults. I have had already so many Apple products in those years and some of them had (minor) production faults. Such a claim is just ridiculous.

I recommend going to an apple authorized dealer as that's really the only recommended process.

In the country where I live you are supposed to go to the shop where you bought your device. It's a legal policy. Those shops are authorized dealers, but the sell by example quit often also Samsung or other brands. We only have one official Apple store for a couple of million people.

Last edited:
Reactions: Closingracer

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
Hi Guys,

1. A production error: some tired, poorly payed Chinese factory worker who by mistake forgot to put in a little piece. A common issue in all mass production chains. If Apple was resistant to this they must have found the holy grail in production technics.
[doublepost=1463567341][/doublepost]

iPhone factory workers are not poorly paid in China. People covet those jobs. How many mass production plants have ever worked in? Do you have any experience six sigma manufacturing methods? What do you consider to be the "holy grail"?

ross1998

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2013
iPhone factory workers are not poorly paid in China. People covet those jobs. How many mass production plants have ever worked in? Do you have any experience six sigma manufacturing methods? What do you consider to be the "holy grail"?

Is that why they have suicide nets to catch workers attempting to commit suicide? Yes the iPhone assembly workers earn very little and a lot of hours. Read some of the Foxconn employee testimonials.

matt_on_a_mtn

Suspended
Mar 25, 2016
They're coveted because they're talked about like a job at Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory. Then once someone is enlisted into the near slave labor, can't leave, can't communicate with loved ones? Well add that to the obscene hours worked, and you have a lot of reasons behind why there are suicide nets on all the buildings.

These are the realities of mass production in China and similar locations. You can turn a blind eye to it and pretend it's all sunshine and lollipops, or you can be realistic about it. It's not fun to think about, but if you keep perpetuating false information, it'll never change.

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
Is that why they have suicide nets to catch workers attempting to commit suicide? Yes the iPhone assembly workers earn very little and a lot of hours. Read some of the Foxconn employee testimonials.

Then don't buy Apple
[doublepost=1463627410][/doublepost]
They're coveted because they're talked about like a job at Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory. Then once someone is enlisted into the near slave labor, can't leave, can't communicate with loved ones? Well add that to the obscene hours worked, and you have a lot of reasons behind why there are suicide nets on all the buildings.

These are the realities of mass production in China and similar locations. You can turn a blind eye to it and pretend it's all sunshine and lollipops, or you can be realistic about it. It's not fun to think about, but if you keep perpetuating false information, it'll never change.

Yes you are right about some of the condition, but do you actually know people that work in factories like these in China? I do. I also know quite a few people that grew since about age 9 making Christmas lights in Chinese factories like my wife. So please don't preach to me.

If you read my post I simple pointing out his comment was inappropriate and also my comment is still correct and they are not poorly paid compared to the rest of the population of China.

matt_on_a_mtn

Suspended
Mar 25, 2016
Then don't buy Apple

Yes you are right about some of the condition, but do you actually know people that work in factories like these in China? I do. I also know quite a few people that grew since about age 9 making Christmas lights in Chinese factories like my wife. So please don't preach to me.

If you read my post I simple pointing out his comment was inappropriate and also my comment is still correct and they are not poorly paid compared to the rest of the population of China.

Not preaching. You see a lot of people downplay what happens in those factories, and you probably know better than anyone that it isn't right. It's better to bring it to light than to pretend it's all perfect and Apple is faultless as some here do.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
The bloke at the local dealer (who is not Apple, but an authorized reseller) opened the iPhone while he was away with it for around 10 minutes in the hope to avoid a warranty case... That same bloke must have damaged it while trying to fix the HOME button.

Unfortunately, I have a feeling this is the issue. Apple's warranty and Applecare specifically stated that they can refuse warranty if a device has been opened by a non-authorized service person. Authorized reseller != authorized service center. Eg. I'm in Singapore, and there are many authorized reseller of Apple stuff, but only two companies being authorized service centers for Apple. And they put a printout in big letters in their office, warning customers that warranty can be denied if a device has been opened by unauthorized person.

You can try again chatting with Apple support to get some leniency, but don't expect much.

Moral of the story, don't go to unauthorized service people for expensive iPhones. There's no point, especially if the device is still under warranty. Just go to the proper channels. Most authorized resellers will forward you to a proper service center, so I am suspicious of your "authorized reseller."

Reactions: ABC5S

von franklin

macrumors regular
May 31, 2015
Texas
it could be that the phone was a defect and sent to authorized reseller for sale and thats how you got it rare. Or the authorized reseller did something to it. the why they test them once the phone is open they know if someone else has been in there

ross1998

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2013
Then don't buy Apple

I was just correcting you about the work conditions in china. I will still be buying Apple products.

Modulor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2016

According to the standards in the part of the world I live in they are poor paid -sadly enough-. They don't have free medical services, don't have minimum wages, don't have laws that prevent them drom toxics or restrict them to 32h work a week, don't have pensions provided by the state, ... (as far as I know)

Do you have any experience six sigma manufacturing methods?

Actually I do. As an engineer.

Again sorry for my misinterpreted words.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.