Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LarTeROn

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2020
Hong Kong
With cookie session stealing, cross site scripting attacks and AI impersonation, family members are surely your biggest security risk by far.

How do you handle that?

1) Which browser do you choose? I move my wife onto BRAVE, but the security over Chrome meant that rarely some sites don't work. She just gets annoyed when it doesn't. Would you say that I would be OK with moving back to Chrome because actually Brave is more about privacy, with security being just coincidental to that? I found that she never restarts Brave to keep it update it. Is Chrome more aggressive in that?

2) My wife doesn't want to update to Montrery and is sticking on Catalina because she's worried it'll slow down her 8GB ram Mac. Fortunately, I have a spare SSD. I'm going to secretly swap the SSD when she's not looking one day and transfer all her files across. She'll be mad, but we'll be safe. I might be able to get away with telling her it was automatic.

3) I use NEXTDNS with some filtering. This is useful, but I recommend setting it not so aggressive if you can.

4) I found LULU wasn't actually too difficult to use. But I wish the yes and no buttons were bright red and green.

5a) Her mac was full from iphotos sync. I managed to fix that, but that was blocking updates due to lack of space. That seems like a major flaw in MacOS to me.
5b) likewise, her iphone is full and also won't update. This is due to WhatsApp being too big. Apps aren't offloading properly. Rather than backup and wipe the phone, she just leaves her phone vulnerable because she doesn't trust the apple backup system. I just don't know what to do with her.

6) I found all family members use very weak passwords on their desktop logins. Understandable, since we need to type it so much. What's the risk of this?

This is just my wife. God knows my parents must be even worse.

How do you protect yourself from technophobe family members?

• Haha
Reactions: MrScratchHook

LarTeROn

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2020
Hong Kong
Separate accounts for everyone.
Maybe the issue to plan for is the compromised machine on the local network. Perhaps firewalling off their machine from the rest of the network could be the way to go, allowing only syncthing through, or something like that.

edit:
The simplest thing would be to only allow these dodgy devices on the GUEST wifi network, and transfer things across manually by USB.

However, being able to firewall off the machine and keep syncthing working would be a lot slicker.

Last edited:

MrScratchHook

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2022
United States
As far as her phone goes, just download all her pics to a cpu and delete them off her phone. these type of people(my wife is also this type) dont know how to delete things, they think they will be missing out on something grand, and i know that in whatsapp when she uses voice note they all get saved in the phone and that eats up crazy space.

Alameda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2012
As far as her phone goes, just download all her pics to a cpu and delete them off her phone. these type of people(my wife is also this type) dont know how to delete things, they think they will be missing out on something grand, and i know that in whatsapp when she uses voice note they all get saved in the phone and that eats up crazy space.
And it’s worth explaining that this protects against losing all the photos of the phone is lost/broken/stolen.

Reactions: MrScratchHook
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.