Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Volcom8190

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Just got off the phone with AT&T after waiting 2 hours.
According to the agent we spoke with, only INDIVIDUAL plans can be activated at this time. They are experiencing technical difficulties with the family plan activation. The family plan is not currently in the system. You will need to call AT&T to clear your family plan if you already attempted to activate your phone on the family plan. Once they clear your account, you can activate your phone as an individual account. If you are activating more than 1 phone, you will have to activate each one as an individual account, then call AT&T's customer care line (800-331-0500) in a few days to change it to the family plan. You can still port over your old phone number.

Inthraller

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2007
Strange, I am on a family plan and was able to activate with no problems. Maybe I got in just before the major bulk of people started activating and crashed the system. I wonder if At&t will charge people for a full month of service if their iPhone wasn't able to activate and their old phone has a disabled sim... I would guess no unless you complained about it. At&t certainly seems to have dropped the ball on this. None the less, sorry to hear about your problems.

Squidly

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2002
S. Jersey
Strange, I am on a family plan and was able to activate with no problems. Maybe I got in just before the major bulk of people started activating and crashed the system. I wonder if At&t will charge people for a full month of service if their iPhone wasn't able to activate and their old phone has a disabled sim... I would guess no unless you complained about it. At&t certainly seems to have dropped the ball on this. None the less, sorry to hear about your problems.

I too am on the family plan - but they activated me. It took a long time (almost 4 hours) but they did it.

No phone call, just waited for the fated email.

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
Sprint is awful

Im on a family plan too - that finally got both phones activated.

Sprint was causing the problem in my case. They released the one phone number instantly and the other they held for 24 hours. Yes 24 hour - they turned off my Sprint phone but made all the incoming emails go to my Sprint PCS email - which I could not access because they turned my phone off.

I was on the phone for nearly two hours before they finally released my number this afternoon. I was on a conference all with AT&T and Sprint twice - both sides agreed something was wrong with Sprint and then the AT&T sales woman told me that Sprint has been giving them problems all day - looks lkle Sprint is making it difficult to give Apple and AT&T a bad name ... Sprint even refused to transfer me to manager - three different times. It was a nightmare to say the least.

point665

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2004
Family plan here too, had problems last night but got both iPhones activated this morning.

Pine-Tree

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2005
Arizona, USA
I was also able to activate mine without any hassle at all (under 3 min.) I must have gotten really lucky or something, and that's after switching my number from sprint. Basically I came in on Monday, opened up a new account under AT&T by porting my number from Sprint. After that I transfered 4 different lines (2 different accounts) under my account for a total of a 5 line family share plan. All went smooth by thursday, get my iphone on friday, go home and simply enter my number and went through.

The only thing I did noticed was that it told me that no discounts are offered if I want an iphone. I had gotten a 12% discount on my plan for being a University of Phoenix student. I'm sure I'll be able to get it back on Monday. Of other note, if you do have a family share plan, get the $30 unlimited messaging plan (text, pic, video) for everyone on your account. I was told by the manager there that it also applies for the iphone even though the data plan states 200 messages.

Abe

gorillapond

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2004
Just got off the phone with AT&T after waiting 2 hours.
According to the agent we spoke with, only INDIVIDUAL plans can be activated at this time. They are experiencing technical difficulties with the family plan activation. The family plan is not currently in the system. You will need to call AT&T to clear your family plan if you already attempted to activate your phone on the family plan. Once they clear your account, you can activate your phone as an individual account. If you are activating more than 1 phone, you will have to activate each one as an individual account, then call AT&T's customer care line (800-331-0500) in a few days to change it to the family plan. You can still port over your old phone number.

I activated a FamilyTalk plan last night, activated both iPhones. Numbers were ported this afternoon after resolving an issue with my previous carrier. No issues for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.