Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
I am the main person in our 5 person Family Sharing plan.

2 teens, 1 grandparent, my wife and me.

One of my teens was recently gifted an Apple Watch and loved using the Fitness Plus trial. Now that the trial is over he wants to continue the service but told him I don’t want to be the one to pay for it.

He has a debit card of his own at age 18 but don’t know how for him to go about adding his card info so he can pay for either the $9.99 monthly fee or $79.99 yearly fee. I get the feeling he’ll want to go for the $79.99 yearly subscription.

Point is, I don’t want my main card on file to be charged.

Thanks for the help, I’ll reply quickly as always.

pup

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2009
I don’t know if you can do that - I think the answer is he either gets his own account or just gives you the $80.

You might also give thought to the premier plan at this point. Depending on what other services you have from Apple, a fitness subscription will often push you past the point of it being more economical to get the bundle.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
I don’t know if you can do that - I think the answer is he either gets his own account or just gives you the $80.

You might also give thought to the premier plan at this point. Depending on what other services you have from Apple, a fitness subscription will often push you past the point of it being more economical to get the bundle.
Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I feared I may have to pay with my main card on file considering I’m the main person who set up the family sharing account.

At the very least I’m hoping he can but an Apple Gift card and he himself pay for it that way.

We don’t use any of the other services from Apple and I’ve no interest in them…. But maybe when we switch to HomeKit cameras we’ll get the 2TB iCloud storage plan.

Reactions: compwiz1202

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I feared I may have to pay with my main card on file considering I’m the main person who set up the family sharing account.

At the very least I’m hoping he can but an Apple Gift card and he himself pay for it that way.

We don’t use any of the other services from Apple and I’ve no interest in them…. But maybe when we switch to HomeKit cameras we’ll get the 2TB iCloud storage plan.
Yes if a family member adds money to their ID, it will use that before the shared card

CyberDavis

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2022
At that point it might be worth looking at overall monthly costs, as the One plan might make more sense and get Fitness+ and 2TB iCloud in the bundle.
Always worth checking out the options. 😀👍

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.