Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pullman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Well "hell" is possibly an overstatement but probably not by much. My question is how I am supposed to be able to create an AppleID for my daughter in the following multi-country situation:

My AppleID is based in the US iTunes Store since many years, but these days I live in The Netherlands. Our daughter will be getting her first iPhone and to set up her AppleID I must use the Family Sharing feature since she is under 13yo.

To do this I need to verify my age which Family Sharing requires me to do by having a payment method connected to my AppleID.

But I am not able to add a payment method as Apple won't accept my Dutch debit card or my Swedish credit card for that matter. I've also tried adding my PayPal, which has both these cards, but that won't work because the cards are not US cards.

I still have a US debit card and I have tried to add that as a payment option to my AppleID but that fails, probably because my address is in The Netherlands. It also doesn't work to add that card to PayPal.

I would really appreciate suggestions on how to set up an AppleID for daughter so thank you in advance.
Philip

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Is there any reason you need to keep your Apple ID US based?
Would it not be easier to transfer it to a Netherlands one? You can still keep all your content etc.

It is "easy" enough to do — at least it was for me when I did it 5 years ago and then switched it back after a year when I was back permanently.

Here's a link to Apple's solution.

pullman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Thank you for your reply and the link to Apple's solution. I would like to keep my account as it contains content and apps which do not exist in the Dutch store. So I would not be able to re-download those apps or view that content.

Is there any reason you need to keep your Apple ID US based?
Would it not be easier to transfer it to a Netherlands one? You can still keep all your content etc.

It is "easy" enough to do — at least it was for me when I did it 5 years ago and then switched it back after a year when I was back permanently.

Here's a link to Apple's solution.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Thank you for your reply and the link to Apple's solution. I would like to keep my account as it contains content and apps which do not exist in the Dutch store. So I would not be able to re-download those apps or view that content.

So would this not work? I certainly didn't lose any content — though I only moved between EU countries.

Good luck! 👍

Reactions: pullman

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
Well "hell" is possibly an overstatement but probably not by much. My question is how I am supposed to be able to create an AppleID for my daughter in the following multi-country situation:

My AppleID is based in the US iTunes Store since many years, but these days I live in The Netherlands. Our daughter will be getting her first iPhone and to set up her AppleID I must use the Family Sharing feature since she is under 13yo.

To do this I need to verify my age which Family Sharing requires me to do by having a payment method connected to my AppleID.

But I am not able to add a payment method as Apple won't accept my Dutch debit card or my Swedish credit card for that matter. I've also tried adding my PayPal, which has both these cards, but that won't work because the cards are not US cards.

I still have a US debit card and I have tried to add that as a payment option to my AppleID but that fails, probably because my address is in The Netherlands. It also doesn't work to add that card to PayPal.

I would really appreciate suggestions on how to set up an AppleID for daughter so thank you in advance.
Philip
How does Apple know the age of your daughter? Can she not proceed as if she was over 13?

Reactions: pullman

pullman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Thank you for the reply and good point, I guess they wouldn't know. I will need to look into that. I'm wondering if some of the parental control features might not work if the AppleID isn't set up through Family Sharing.

How does Apple know the age of your daughter? Can she not proceed as if she was over 13?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.