Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

totallywoke

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2017
I have 2 Apple ID's. Second one was created when I bought a new iPhone years ago. ID #2 has phone "stuff" like texts, VMs and messages and photos/videos taken with iPhone and is the only Apple device associated. ID #1 is used for iTunes, Subscriptions, and for Mac. It have iPhone as a device.

On iPhone, I'm signed into ID #2; Media & Purchase, Subscriptions is using ID #1. For ID #2, I've run out of storage space for the free iCloud 5 GB plan. This is preventing backups of iPhone to iCloud.

I am trying to set up Family Sharing so ID #2 can have access to ID #1's iCloud 50 GB storage plan. I'm setting up Family Sharing on my Mac. This is the result: ID #2 is the organizer, ID #2 is the parent.

I'm confused with who's who when using AirDrop (both Apple ID's show the same image & name). I updated the image for ID #1 on Mac. But now the same image is showing for ID #2.

Do I sign out of ID #2 on iPhone & make ID #1 the parent? I don't want to disrupt stored VM's and messages on iPhone.

The other ongoing problem is "Handoff" -- I'm unable to use FaceTime & Messages app on Mac with Apple ID #2 - since I'm signed into #1 on Mac.

TIA

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I have a similar set up, one ID for app purchases, iTunes, subs, etc. the other for everything else, but my 200GB iCloud storage is on the "everything else" ID.

I also have family sharing, but do not share the 200GB. I share purchases, apps, subs, etc., but the 200GB is used by my "personal" ID that I use for Photos, videos, iCloud Drive, email, and "everything else".

Why not just move the 50GB to the ID that needs it?

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Also, I am a little confused by what you are saying, are you signing in to only one ID at a time on your iPhone? You can sign into both at the same time, if one is used for purchases, subs, iTunes, etc. and the other is used for everything else.

EDIT: NVM, I re-read what you said, and it does sound like you are signed into both. It just sounds like the 50B iCloud sub is on the wrong ID.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.