Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unkinkedash

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2018
Hello guys, I've been having some trouble with heat on my macbook pro mid 2012 and I downloaded a software called "SMC fan control", it's icon is a nuclear sign by the way. So whenever the heat builds up to 60 degrees or higher I speed up the fans somewhere around its maximum speed (6000rpm). But, I let it do its work for around 1min or until it goes down to somewhere around 55 degrees, which does not take much longer than 1 min actually.
I would like to know if using these programs or just using it how I'm using it is safe for the hardware.

Thanks!

culb0743

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2013
Try an app called TG Pro by Tunabelly Software. Its $15.00 or so, but much nicer to work with than SMC in my opinion. As you know, Apple keeps the temperature threshold (CPU/GPU) quite high before the fans begin to ramp up, therefore in using an app like SMC or TG Pro you will be running the fans more than they typically would be per Apple's specifications. Usurping control of the sensors/fans may put a mild amount of unanticipated wear and tear on the fans themselves. That being said, you are preventing core system components from prolonged exposure to extreme thermal conditions. A heat-damaged logic board, CPU, or GPU is a much bigger problem than a simple fan replacement. Full disclosure, I kept TG Pro running on a 2012 MBPr 15" for five years; fans were sent to boost to 75% if average CPU or discrete GPU temperature exceeded 65 ℃. I had to have the right fan replaced in 2018. Plenty of users say that fan control software is unnecessary, or at best only provides peace of mind. And they may be right. Remember, the thought of installing a fan control app never enters the mind of most users, and there aren't widespread reports of MacBooks suffering catastrophic failures due to excessive heat. If your main concern is throttling, apps like SMC aren't going to make much of a difference.

Reactions: unkinkedash
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.