Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anjanesh

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Navi Mumbai
I'm on macOS Mojave on a 2018 i7 MacBook Pro with 16GB RAM.

When I run Android Studio and start the app using the emulator my disk gets heated up and the fan noise is loud compared to none when running XCode 11. (Android Studio and XCode are not open at the same time)

Is the emulator the reason for the fan noise ? Is there something that can be done to prevent the overheating ?

alin89c

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2021
As you may know, macOS has a feature called thermal throttling. This means that you don't have to worry that your MAC will break from overheating. When the temperature of the CPU and GPU is higher, your MAC will just run slower (to keep the temperature in a safe boundary).

For the first question that you've asked I don't have an answer. I've never used Android Studio, so I don't know what advice to give you.

If you can't work with a heated MacBook, here's what I do. When I want my MAC to run faster, I just make my room cooler by opening the window (in winter time) and put some more clothes on (to prevent myself from getting a cold). When it's summer, I just place a low RPM fan (a quiet fan) close to the keyboard of my MacBook. This way, my mac stays reasonably cool, and my hands don't sweat.

Last edited:
Reactions: anjanesh
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.