Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DEXTERITY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2004
Greetings,

I have a dual 2.0 G5 with 2gb of ram.

I would appreciate anyones help. Ever since upgrading to 10.4.8 a few weeks ago I have the following two problems:

I can't put my computer to sleep
The fan revs really high periodically (at least once, twice per week). Then I have to force restart.

I haven't changed anything since installing Tiger. I did repair my disk permissions.

Waiting for the upgrade to Disk Warrior.. glad they make upgrading customers wait 4 plus weeks..

Thanks in advance.

DEXTERITY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2004
thanks, I will try that. I think It is the 04 version of the G5.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Okay, well in that case simply unplug it from the wall for a few minutes (maybe give it half an hour or even leave it overnight if possible) and then come back and see how it is. If it's still playing up, then follow the steps in the PRAM resetting page I linked to above. Good luck. I hope this works for you. :)

DEXTERITY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2004
thank you very much. Will see how it goes. you should be on the sites payroll, you always end up helping me lol.

DEXTERITY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2004
well you're help is greatly appreciated. Thanks..

It still wont goto sleep. I unplugged the computer and reset the pmu (via the button). Should I try the pram?

Its weird, when I hit sleep, the computer acts like it is going to sleep, the fan revs up for a second, I hear the hard drive click and then it wakes back up.

If I dont touch anything thing for a while (let it go to sleep on its own), The only thing that appears to sleep overnight is the monitor. I dont think the hard drive is actually going to sleep on its own. I can't tell though. would the led flash? thanks

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Yeah, try the PRAM reset. It can't hurt. What apps do you have running? What sort of third party hardware do you have attached or installed? Do you have any Bluetooth devices? :)

DEXTERITY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2004
I really haven't changed anything but the following.

I upgraded from 10.3.9 to 10.4.8, with that I had to upgrade pro tools and digital performer.

When I put the computer a sleep I usually only have entourage and firefox running. Everything used to work prior to the os upgrade. I am still waiting for Disk Warrior upgrade to arrive , hoping maybe that will fix something that may be knocked out of wack? I also notice I get the spinnig circle sometimes when typing within firefox.. argh

I do have a bluetooth phone, headset, but they are currently being used with the computer. I did get airport express around the same time I upgrade the OS. I wonder if that has something to do with it? dont tell me yes lol

DEXTERITY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2004
update.. I turned airport off and the computer went to sleep fine. I never had to do that before when using airport. So I'm wondering if it is because I added airport express? Is there a way to make it goto sleep without always having to turn airport off?

DEXTERITY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2004
that sucks. I would like the computer to goto sleep without me having to babysit it and turn airport off. I come and go from in front of my computer throughout the day. Where did the mad jew go lol

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Okay, in the Energy Saver pane of System Preferences, disable Wake For Ethernet under the Options tab. Have you got the latest AirPort software on the machine and the latest firmware in the base station?

As a side note, I personally don't like the upgrade option in OSX. I prefer to back everything up and perform a clean install. If given the opportunity and if you're finding a few of these small quirks, then maybe back everything up and clean install. Even though this is probably overkill for such a problem as this, performing a clean install may prevent further issues popping up later on. :)

DEXTERITY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2004
hi, thanks for the info. I did that, I guess I will see how it goes.

I believe I have the latest updates. It doesnt tell me there are any updates available. I actually prefer a clean install as well, but at the time I didn't feel like reinstalling all my software. Maybe I wil have to go back and try it that way one day when I have a day or two to committ to it, lol.

Will keep you updated, thanks for your time.

DEXTERITY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2004
hi, its not working again lol. do you think doing a clean install would fix the problem? i hate to have to reinstall all my programs and lose all my settings for them. are their any preferences i can try to delete?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I don't think it's a preference issue but we can try to prove me wrong (always fun). Open up a new account in System Preferences and see if the problems carry over. If they do, the problem is almost certainly within your Home folder. :)

As for a reinstall, we could try the Archive & Install before the full reformat if you like. That'll simply give you a fresh system folder.

DEXTERITY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2004
lol, thanks for the help. I think I actually did an archive and install when I upgraded my os. Is that when it keeps a copy of certain folders in case you need to reference them, but doesn't require you to resinstall third party apps?

I will switch to my other user account and see how that goes as I never use it.. oh this is so much fun lol.

what else could it be argh lol

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
You probably would have done a form of an Archive & Install but you can adapt it to your liking. You can restrict it from using your old settings and preferences, if you like. This might be a good idea. Personally though, I'd skip that and go straight to a complete reinstall. Normally I don't recommend a reinstall, but I think it'd be beneficial here. Just don't tell IJ Reilly. :eek:

DEXTERITY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2004
I hate you for this lol.. just kidding.. You are probably right. I tried my other admin account and a new account I just made and the same thing happens.

monitor goes to sleep, hard drive clicks, fan revs high, wakes back up.. why why why why me..

on another note before I lose all my emails. what is the proper way to back up emails in entourage or my user identity? I think I know how (copy the identites folder over), but I swear it never works and always over writes my old emails. I can't afford to lose them this time:) thanks again!

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Hahahahaha, yeah sorry. :D

I don't use Entourage, but I believe its simply the folder in your Documents folder that's needed for Office. Test it on one of your accounts. Make a new account and put the data in it from a current account to see if Entourage works with it. Oh, and the Microsoft folder in the Preferences folder may come in handy too, although it holds none of your actual emails. :)

DEXTERITY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2004
you will love this.. it was my usb hub causing the problem. some reason the ac adaptor must have been a little loose so it was pulling power off the usb port which wouldn't let the computer goto sleep. ran console and it told me it was a usb issue.. guess i shall see how long it last. oh so nice for her to goto sleep:) thanks for all your help and time!

Karpfish

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2006
10.4.9 fixed my Screen Saver issues! Now my screen doesn't flash on and off instead of the screen saver like it used to.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
you will love this.. it was my usb hub causing the problem. some reason the ac adaptor must have been a little loose so it was pulling power off the usb port which wouldn't let the computer goto sleep. ran console and it told me it was a usb issue.. guess i shall see how long it last. oh so nice for her to goto sleep:) thanks for all your help and time!

Good find. Thanks for writing back. :)

DEXTERITY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2004
thanks.. welll.. that kind of fixed the problem.. Apple wants to replace my logic board because it works sometimes and not others..

are there any negative effects of replacing the logic board? i don't to run into weird issues in a year or two..

thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.