Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danzzz

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 27, 2008
LA
Just bought a new 2.16GHz Blackbook from my school's sale for only $899.

The problem is the fan sometimes goes crazy at 6000-6200rpm just by watching some video clips on QuickTime. It won't stop slowing down until I close those video files or so. I tried smcfancontrol, but it didn't really help a lot.

I don't know if you guys have similar issue with your Macbook or Blackbook, please just share me with some of your tips or advices. Hopefully I can solve the problem myself before going to Genius Bar.

Thanks

dsl4c

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2007
Portland, OR
its the intel graphics inside the macbook, they tax the processor since it doesn't use a separate graphic card, its very normal.. even when the macbook fans run at full speed and heats up even after watching 5 minutes of youtube clips.. my advice is to learn to live with it..

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Just bought a new 2.16GHz Blackbook from my school's sale for only $899.

The problem is the fan sometimes goes crazy at 6000-6200rpm just by watching some video clips on QuickTime. It won't stop slowing down until I close those video files or so. I tried smcfancontrol, but it didn't really help a lot.

I don't know if you guys have similar issue with your Macbook or Blackbook, please just share me with some of your tips or advices. Hopefully I can solve the problem myself before going to Genius Bar.

Thanks
What kind of videos in Quicktime? Are they high definition? Can you have Activity Monitor open when you play them?

its the intel graphics inside the macbook, they tax the processor since it doesn't use a separate graphic card, its very normal.. even when the macbook fans run at full speed and heats up even after watching 5 minutes of youtube clips..
Video playback doesn't require the GPU for anything more then presentation. The CPU does all the decoding.

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
its the intel graphics inside the macbook, they tax the processor since it doesn't use a separate graphic card, its very normal.. even when the macbook fans run at full speed and heats up even after watching 5 minutes of youtube clips.. my advice is to learn to live with it..

I am watching a movie right now on my macbook, on a bed, and my fans aren't moving at all, so unless they are HD, then the fan shouldn't move for him either.

dsl4c

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2007
Portland, OR
Video playback doesn't require the GPU for anything more then presentation. The CPU does all the decoding.

your right, however; my macbook starts running its fan full speed at any heavy video use, quicktime or flash.. but then again, there are always many factors that lead the fans to run on high.. I still blame a lot of it on the Intel GMA..

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I am watching a movie right now on my macbook, on a bed, and my fans aren't moving at all, so unless they are HD, then the fan shouldn't move for him either.
What kind of movie? How fast are the fans spinning?

your right, however; my macbook starts running its fan full speed at any heavy video use, quicktime or flash.. but then again, there are always many factors that lead the fans to run on high.. I still blame a lot of it on the Intel GMA..
The CPU is still going to be decoding the video. Flash is a bad example as well.

danzzz

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 27, 2008
LA
What kind of videos in Quicktime? Are they high definition? Can you have Activity Monitor open when you play them?

7.4.1 (I downgraded my iTunes for using my unlocked iPhone)
Nah, it's not HD video, some regular ones.
Nah, I did not have the Activity Monitor opened. (any difference when opened?)

danzzz

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 27, 2008
LA

the bad thing is it's not just running at full speed, but it KEEPs RUNNING at full speed for a long time unless you close most "heavy" applications.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
1) Download and install the iStat Pro widget

(Or open Activity Monitor)

Open your video and hit play. Now switch to the activity monitor or iStat Pro and watch the CPU usage. If higher than 30-40 % for both cores, your fans will blow at highest speed (6200 RPM).

the bad thing is it's not just running at full speed, but it KEEPs RUNNING at full speed for a long time unless you close most "heavy" applications.

After doing heavy lifting the CPU stays hot for a while, so fan continues to spin fast until it cools to ~60C.

BTW, video card has nothing to do with this, Eidorian is right.

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
What kind of movie? How fast are the fans spinning?

The CPU is still going to be decoding the video. Flash is a bad example as well.

I am watching an XviD rip of a movie, older rip that I made something like.... 2 years ago... so the quality and bitrate are low.

danzzz

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 27, 2008
LA
1) Download and install the iStat Pro widget

(Or open Activity Monitor)

Open your video and hit play. Now switch to the activity monitor or iStat Pro and watch the CPU usage. If higher than 30-40 % for both cores, your fans will blow at highest speed (6200 RPM).

I had iStat installed already.

I tried watching LOST HD online and the CPU was at 30% usage, and the fan was always above 5500rpm.

I hate it...sounds like we can't watch anything online without getting this noise from fan.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
I had iStat installed already.

I tried watching LOST HD online and the CPU was at 30% usage, and the fan was always above 5500rpm.

I hate it...sounds like we can't watch anything online without getting this noise from fan.

And what did you expect? HD (especially H.264) are very CPU-intensive videos. CPU works hard -> it heats up -> needs to be cooled -> fans spinning faster.

beardboy

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2007
Bath
I've noticed that since owning my MB that the fans go crazy when using the Adobe Updater - fans at about 6100RPM and the CPU temp goes upto about 78 (highest i've seen).

Does anyone else experience this with theirs?

Thanks

danzzz

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 27, 2008
LA
And what did you expect? HD (especially H.264) are very CPU-intensive videos. CPU works hard -> it heats up -> needs to be cooled -> fans spinning faster.

really did not expect to have this loud fan sound before.
but anyway, thanks for sharing the info.

eman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2007
In the great white north
One other thing you could check is the heatsink and fan for heavy dust build. If the macbook has been in a dust environment, the heatsink may be packed with dust and not allowing the fan to disperse the heat.

chatoyer

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2006
Te Wai Pounamu, New Zealand
I've noticed that since owning my MB that the fans go crazy when using the Adobe Updater - fans at about 6100RPM and the CPU temp goes upto about 78 (highest i've seen).

Does anyone else experience this with theirs?

Thanks

Yup count me in on that. And when certain websites with flash content are hit in NetNewsWire. And when SuperDuper does a backup. Loud machines, in my experience. Bring on new technology that produces cooler-running CPUs, I say.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.