Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The General

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 7, 2006
It seems like once I log in, the fans in my Mac Pro start going fast and never slow down.

I mean, it's not like I'm even doing anything right now. I have Safari and the Terminal open. My temperatures are like room temperature. :confused:

Is there any way to slow them down or something? :D

picture1sh2.png

juanster

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2007
toronto
now i dont know how stupid i will sound now, but i don't think you fans are going at full speed. my macbook's fan is always around those speeds whne is doing nothing, if it starts getting really hot cpu apps they kick up to around 5ooo or even 6000 rpm so i think yours would too if they were to kick up...1500 rpm for a fan is not high at all..

The General

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 7, 2006
Then why is it only loud after I log in? Do you think it's because I have 4 harddrives and I'm just mistaking the sound of them for fans? :confused:

juanster

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2007
toronto
Then why is it only loud after I log in? Do you think it's because I have 4 harddrives and I'm just mistaking the sound of them for fans? :confused:[/QUOTE
i guess that could be it, but i don t know for sure, how long have you had your mac pro? i don t have any experience with mac pros but i know that sometimes when teh fans get old,dirty or defective they make a lot of noise you can check it out, but since your comp is not over heatingi donot beleive it s a broken or defective fan, maybe flow some can air on it to un-dust it? i really don t think it's your fans you are hearing tho i could be wrong..

drumforfun19

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2007
I don't think 1500 rpms is normal. My MBP runs at a little below 1000 rpm's. and that's about normal. You could always temperarily disable your hard drives (minus the mac HD obviously) and then boot up to make sure it isn't those making the noise.

even the G5's run fairly quiet until you put a major workload on them. and the Macpro has a lot less fans, so there should be no reason that it's making that much noise. I'd contact apple care if you can.

The General

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 7, 2006
I've only had it for a few days.

I'll take the other three drives out and see if that's what I'm hearing. But I'm fairly certain it's the fans.

miniConvert

macrumors 68040
My Mac Pro normally idles at 500rpm. I turn the minimum up to 1800ish rpm when I play WoW due to the ATI card overheating issues but that's another story.

I don't think your fans should be going that fast - CPU's don't need to be at 23C!

Maybe call AppleCare? Or install smcFanControl and check what the minimums are set to?

Counter

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2005
Sounds like your computer is in safety mode (fans going full blast because the computer doesn't know what's going on). Dodgy graphics card can do that. But your computer is working so I don't know. Does it sound like it's going to take off? I mean, really loud. That's safety mode.

The General

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 7, 2006
I figured out the problem. I had fan control software installed on my MacBook Pro, and when I migrated my settings and files over, it moved those too. I removed them and now it's silent! :)

The General

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 7, 2006
It's actually more confusing than I posted before. It was on my MacBook Pro, then it trasnfered to my MacBook, then to my Mac Pro! :eek:

I removed it from my MacBook and it's quieter too! Doublekill! :p

juanster

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2007
toronto
really???? wow, then somehting must be up with my macbook then because it's always at 1500 plus.......:eek: and it has always been like this since i got it a month ago......

The General

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 7, 2006
The fans are smaller, they need to run that fast to push enough air.

Mine was running at 2000 all the time, and under load would go up to 3000.

Now it runs at 1500, and 2000 under load. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.