Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dribando

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2014
After updating to High Sierra on early 2011 MBP (with Samsung EVO 850 SSD), the screen is very dim (about half normal brightness) and the fans are constantly spinning. Machine is not getting hot or even warm, but fans are on non-stop.

My first install failed and I needed to install via internet recovery mode. That seemed to work fine but the screen was dim. To fix dimness, I then did a NVRAM update (reboot while holding down CMD +Option +P +R), and after boot that's when I noticed the persistent fans. So now I have two problems.

Any ideas?

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
It puts the screen on auto brightness, just turn it up in syst prefs.

The fans will run till Time Mach is done and spotlight re indexing etc. Be patient.

dribando

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2014
It puts the screen on auto brightness, just turn it up in syst prefs.

The fans will run till Time Mach is done and spotlight re indexing etc. Be patient.

The fans start blasting the second I turn on the machine, even during initial boot. I don't think it has anything to do with indexing, time machine, or any other CPU usage. Usually when the fans kick on the machine is warm/hot to the touch. This case the machine is stone cold.

I turned off auto brightness and manually turned brightness to max. Even at max, it's quite dim, about half the brightness as before the update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.