Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

supergaia

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2017
italy
Hi

i have downlaod yesterday the trial version of Fantastical 2 , but i can't connect to my goole account

I open the preferences of fantastical 2 ->acconts -> click-> on google ->
it opens firefox and I enter my email and password
in firefox , and i accept to allow Fantastical to access your calendars but in fantastical doens't add any google calendar
i tried with firefox updated , safari , i have no firewall or antivus

ical can do it , even busycal trial works ,i have the last version 2.5.10

have you had problems with fantastical and google accounts?

thanks
sorry for my english

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
First, you will need to sign into appleid.apple.com and create an app-specific password for Fantastical to be able to access Apple's sync services.

I believe you then need to go to Settings > Accounts and enable Google Calendars there. But from the sound of things, that's already on as you can see Google calendars in Apple's Calendar.

Jeffois

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2010
No issue with Fantastical and Google Calendars here.

I'd try the suggestion above, about looking in Settings.

supergaia

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2017
italy
First, you will need to sign into appleid.apple.com and create an app-specific password for Fantastical to be able to access Apple's sync services.

I believe you then need to go to Settings > Accounts and enable Google Calendars there. But from the sound of things, that's already on as you can see Google calendars in Apple's Calendar.
hi
but may i know why should
I sign in appleid.apple.com and create an app-specific password for Fantastical
?
i will use only on my imac
i can add my google account on ical and busycal ,in the fantastical 2 help page doesn't report to create a specific password for fantastical
have you fantastical installed?
have you create an app - specific password for fantastical?
thanks

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
I had to use an app-specific password back when I initially setup Fantastical. Now, it's been years since I've had to change things, so, might have changed in the ensuing years.

Another thing that's odd: Firefox popped up to verify Google credentials? That might be an issue. Google uses OAuth for authentication (a token vs actual password), and in the case of Apple products, generally, this is handled via a mini-Safari session and a cookie getting set, which the app asking for authentication then reads.

So, might want to disable Firefox as default browser temporarily and see if that works.

If not, might need to generate an app-specific password in Google. From a Google site that's signed in: Your avatar > Google Account > Security > App Passwords. At the bottom of the page will be the dropdowns to generate the app password.

jagooch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2009
Denver, co
My understanding it that Fantastical and Apple Calendar both leverage the "internet accounts" in System Preferences. You add the account there, and enable Mail, contacts, calendars, Notes by checking them off. Once done, any application can use those accounts. So if "calendars" is checked off for your Google account, then Apple Calendars and Fantastical can access your Google calendars.

Give your Google account a look over there, and perhaps remove and re-add it to Google accounts. Once you have done that, then open Fantastical 2 - Preferences - Accounts , and make sure that the Google account is enabled.

I checked my app-specific passwords, and I didn't create one for Fantastical to access my Google calendar. but it has access.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.