Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
hadn't got round to picking up FC 5 yet, too many other games piled up but now im at a loose end. however FC5 isn't on sale, so im thinking of going straight to New Dawn, any downsides?

hagr182

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2010
FC5 is a very good game; downsides are that since this is a direct sequel you´ll probably have FC5 spoiled for you, also I´ve read that if you beat FC5 and then play new dawn you can unlock the previous game´s character outfit. I´ve also read that there are a few returning characters; so besides story continuation and an unlockable you won´t be missing much.

cyclingplatypus

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2007
Earth
There are a lot of easter eggs in it that reference FC5 and some of the characters survived - as far as spoilers, I would say that there is only one real possible spoiler - the antagonist from FC5 is part of New Dawn and there are references to him, not sure if you meet him or interact with him but his cult is still active and there is a mission that sends you to them.

It is actually kind of cool to save the characters that you interacted with in the previous game, seeing that they survived and some of the quips from NPCs make references but I think you could pick it up and go without FC5.

I'm about ten hours in and it is fun. My only real complaint is level one weapons are awful - worth playing FC5 just to have the sawed-off shotgun from Club Ubisoft from the beginning. Not sure if you have GameFly but the have FC5 for a Keep It price of $13.49.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
in some ways im surprised that they haven't discounted FC5 at the same time as releasing FCND as im sure im not the only poster thinking, probably should play FC5 first, not paying full price for both, will wait..

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Far Cry 5 was an amazingly detailed environment with sounds, density with the lush environments, the gameplay was smooth and fluid, the storyline was subpar, but the characters were well driven, along side the main enemy of ‘The father’ who was portrayed really well. I did pass on ‘Far cry New dawn’, as that had zero interest to me what they were trying to execute, but my experience with Far cry 5 it’s self was all-around very well done by Ubisoft. In terms of ‘sandbox games’, Far cry 5 is definitely up there for a 2018 expectation with outstanding gameplay mechanics. (Aside from the driving mechanics are wonky, but a non-issue.)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.