Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
With the free Remote Play app you can connect to your PS4 and play on your iPhone or iPad. This was utterly useless with on screen controls, but with xOS 13's ability to connect a Dual Shock 4, this changes a lot.

I've been testing with Far Cry New Dawn on my iPad (Reddit video) and must say it is really playable now and the lag is minimal.

Apart from the fact you need a decent wifi connection to connect to your PS4, this seems like a decent mobile gaming setup.

Do you guys see any future here? When 5G is getting widespread and latencies are down so the app can be used on mobile internet? Competition for the Nintendo Switch?

Reactions: kemo

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
I am very interested in this! I've been waiting for years for the DS4 to be able to connect to iOS devices for this exact reason.

With the current setup, does your iPad need to be on the same WiFi network as the PS4? Or can you connect from a different building/city/etc.?

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
I am very interested in this! I've been waiting for years for the DS4 to be able to connect to iOS devices for this exact reason.

With the current setup, does your iPad need to be on the same WiFi network as the PS4? Or can you connect from a different building/city/etc.?

Works all over the world, as long as you have (decent) WiFi :)

Something I think of now, that I haven't checked is when the iPad is connected to my iPhone's HotSpot which is "sort of WiFi". Will test that later.

Reactions: Taustin Powers

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
I've tested it with my iPhone's hotspot and the Remote Play app tried to connect but said that the connection wasn't fast enough. So in theory, if your mobile internet is fast enough, you could play wherever you want on your iPad with an iPhone hotspot.

kemo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
It's also great they added Party feature on mobile devices. This makes remote play complete. Can't wait for iOS 13 to drop to test it out as I prefer at least GM, not betas on my devices :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.