Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anonymous-A.S

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 31, 2022
Hello everyone.

This is my final message to everyone.

I will no longer be around, but you deserve a proper goodbye. I don’t want to share too many details right now because of the legality of things — but a multi-step sting has gotten my sister fired from Apple, and unfortunately I am afraid next is legal action being taken against both of us, separately.

I can’t believe I did this, I’m so sorry to my sister and Apple as a whole. I don’t know what else to say. I know she is destroyed, she also hates me right now, like I don’t even know that I have a sister anymore.

I don’t know if I even have a life beyond this, I don’t know what can happen at this point.

I enjoyed the ride, to any body out there who gets a source, keep the details at a minimum. It could be costly.

The breaking point was multiple, if not almost all who knew about FCP/Logic iPad development was given a unique combination of release dates — unfortunately the combination I shared on Twitter matched the combination given to my sister as the FCP+Logic timeframe, along with other small factors.

I may have shared too much here regarding this situation already, but goodbye. Thanks for taking the time to meet me. Learn from me and don’t let it happen to you or anyone you love.

Last edited by a moderator:

floral

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
Thank you for your contributions. We hope you find a good place in life. <3
Personally, I hope you get out of whatever legal mess you're in. I didn't expect this to happen to anyone here...
And don't worry, you did plenty. Just focus on you and you only. You are more important than some Apple juice. (pun intended ;3)

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Anyone care to explain what this is about?
It sounds like he tweeted details of unreleased products that his sister was privy too and apple being privacy minded took umbrage over their product details being made public.

I shared on Twitter matched the combination given to my sister as the FCP+Logic timeframe, along with other small factors.

floral

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
Like @maflynn said, they were a leaker in this forum that correctly identified important info about Apple products, such as the Dynamic Island, iOS 17 features, the 14 Pro's Always On Display appearance, and intel about how the rumored 15 Pro's capacitive volume buttons would work (until it was botched).

Apple does not like having this information in the public if it's out before they intend it to be, so you can imagine how hard a multibillion dollar company would slam a single person if they leaked gimmicks for their new products months ahead of release; hence why they're so "anonymous". I don't blame them.

Last edited:

joshy123

macrumors regular
May 17, 2014
Australia
The breaking point was multiple, if not almost all who knew about FCP/Logic iPad development was given a unique combination of release dates — unfortunately the combination I shared on Twitter matched the combination given to my sister as the FCP+Logic timeframe, along with other small factors.
Now apple will need to change up how they track leakers, Just like Elon did with the space trick apple uses unique release dates tricky tricky

Kalampoki

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2023

My understanding is that they feed fake information/dates to employees and if they see the same data on rumors they fire the person for disclosing inside information probably.

So if Anonymous-1 was told that next ipad will be 14 inches and released on september 2023,
Anonymous-2 was told that the next ipad will be 13 inches and with it u get logic pro for free,
Anonymous-3 was told that the next ipad will be 2 versions with capacity buttons and will be released after wwdc
etc,

All of the information most likely fake to lure out a potential leaker. If they see the next ipad is 13 inches with logic pro for free, then anonymous-2 is fired.

That's just my speculation.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Classic canary trap victim.

There’s a reason why Mark Gurman and Ming-Chi Kuo survived this long in the game. Anybody can post real time info on Twitter based on Apple sources. The real trick is they wait for multiple reliable contacts to verify any information they are given to ensure it’s real and untraceable.

The capacitive button thing probably put it over the top. Your sister probably had access to preproduction hardware. It’s so easy to fool those testers by sending different hardware. Without access to supply chain info, she didn’t know Apple had cancelled the buttons and was probably told by Apple to continue work assuming the haptic buttons still exist.

floral

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
You and your sister both knew that what you were doing was wrong and you decided that some perceived internet fame was more important than doing the right thing. The price you and your sister will be paying for your actions will be justly deserved.
I understand your view, but knowing that they would get in trouble could be just as easily turned into them taking one for the team and trying to get as much info out as possible before they got busted. In that case, they would be seen as a hero/honorable for being the sacrifice. I see it as the latter, though not as extreme. I know what they did was wrong, but I don't want to pin them as a bad guy for all they've done for this forum.

Last edited:

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
I understand your view, but knowing that he would get in trouble could be just as easily turned into him taking one for the team and trying to get as much info out as possible before he got busted. In that case, he would be seen as a hero/honorable for being the sacrifice. I see it as the latter, though not as extreme. I know what he did was wrong, but I don't want to pin him as a bad guy for all he's done for this forum.
It’s not that he and his sister are bad, I am sure they are nice people. However, they are utterly irresponsible. Corporate espionage is serious, very serious. They leaked information for what? For an iPad? They risked their financial well-being, freedom, and future to leak what is somewhat irrelevant information on something that next year will be old. And they did it in a very stupid way. We ain’t taking about the Pentegon Papers here.

floral

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
It’s not that he and his sister are bad, I am sure they are nice people. However, they are utterly irresponsible. Corporate espionage is serious, very serious. They leaked information for what? For an iPad? They risked their financial well-being, freedom, and future to leak what is somewhat irrelevant information on something that next year will be old. And they did it in a very stupid way. We ain’t taking about the Pentegon Papers here.
I didn't see anyone complaining when they posted the initial leaks, though.

On a note, I just noticed me and many others refer to the leaker as "he", despite no pronouns being specified... I'm editing all of my comments to say they/them in case they don't use he/him.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I understand your view, but knowing that he would get in trouble could be just as easily turned into him taking one for the team and trying to get as much info out as possible before he got busted. In that case, he would be seen as a hero/honorable for being the sacrifice. I see it as the latter, though not as extreme. I know what he did was wrong, but I don't want to pin him as a bad guy for all he's done for this forum.
He knowingly put himself in legal jeopardy and he could pay a very high price in many different ways.

He didn't take one for any "team" here. He was about himself (internet ego). I also don't think he did anything positive for the forum.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017

It’s not as if Apple did anything to deserve their competitive and proprietary information being leaked.

There’s no benefit in this at all, apart from Internet fame points. Unlike Kuo and Gurman, he doesn’t get to manage millions of dollars of investment assets or have a job at Bloomberg as a result of having this info. He and his sister are now on the hook legally and financially.

Reactions: sorgo †

floral

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
Yes, obviously what they did was out of line. My assumption was that they would post leaks far and few to avoid legal trouble, but was shocked to see that they didn't and just... kept posting them. Not as in it was a bad thing. But it was a little irresponsible. Still, if they choose to do that then I won't stop them because it isn't my business.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
He knowingly put himself in legal jeopardy and he could pay a very high price in many different ways.

I’d be curious to follow this case. She told him, which is the actual leak, and he reported it on Twitter. So from this perspective he’s clean. However, if she knew that he would post on Twitter, and if he knew that she wasn’t supposed to leak, it becomes conspiracy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.